Last Landmannalaugar Abstract-Recrop

I’m sharing what I think are the last of my abstracts from the Landmannalaugar are of Iceland. As usual, I’m interested in feedback on processing, crops, which composition works best for you, and which images, if any, just provoke a yawn and little more. I’m undecided about the presence of the foreground lava rock. Initially, I like the contrast in texture, but now I think it just distracts and adds an unbecoming complexity to the composition.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Single images, processed in LR, minimal crop on the first, small crops on the 2nd and 3rd.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Marylynne, I am a sucker for this kind of images. I love seeing abstract images like these.

The image that resonates really well with me is #3. I would recommend cropping the sliver of the ground at the bottom as it feels a little cutoff. With #1, the far BG hill is a little distracting as a triangular area in the back that is different from the green hills in front of it. I am not a fan of the OOF lava rock in the FG of #2. I think if you want to include it, it should be in focus.

In terms processing, I think the processing of #3 is spot-on while the contrast is a little harsh for #1 for me. I would consider reducing contrast of some sort on the UL corner of #2. The diagonal lines there pull my eyes a little bit.

Marylynne,

I’m pretty much in agreement with everything Adhika mentioned. In addition to his comments, the first image really kinda just borders on abstract. I think the brown ridge up top doesn’t help or add to the image; it’s really asking to have either much more of it included - making it more of a landscape image, or not include it at all.

Also agree on the second image. I think the inclusion of the lava is great as it adds depth, tells more of a story than the others. But as pointed out, if you’re going to include something and it’s an important element, then it should be sharp.

I like the last one best. perhaps just from the simplicity of it. I do agree the sliver at the bottom - either include more, or none. I think you did great with the color of the greens, although you might consider some micro contrast? Meaning just a little bit flat. But given the diffused light, I’m thinking this is pretty close to what you saw and experienced. I really like #3.

Lon
l

1 Like

Hi Marylynne - I also like #3 the best for all the reasons already mentioned by Lon and Adhika.

1 Like

Thanks, everyone. It always helps to get some perspective. Unfortunately, I can’t have more of the strip at the bottom on the third, because those rocks from #2 are there. I thought about cropping higher, but then I cut the toes off the ridges. There is actually a goat or sheep on that strip near one of those drainages, but he’s too small to keep the strip for that. I’ll play with it a bit more. Here is a redo of #3 with the strip gone and a tish more mid-tone contrast.

Thanks for helping me improve on this one!
ML