Final Iceland Abstract--redo

I believe this is my final abstract from Iceland. Thanks all for chiming in with feedback along the way. I have a half dozen or so more images to share over the coming month, but they are more traditional landscape images of mountains, waterfalls, you know, post card stuff :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

As always, I’m interested in your thoughts on whether the composition works, whether it meets your idea of an abstract landscape, suggestions for further processing, and of course, whether it appeals at all or just leaves you thinking “whatever…”

ML

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Single image shot at 400mm, processed in LR

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

The photo has potential, but two things bother me. My eye is drawn immediately to the white area in the upper left, and to the light cliff in the lower middle. If it were my photo I would clone out or darken the white area, plus also darken the light cliff in the center bottom, or crop out a significant portion of it. I also wonder if it could use just a small bit more “pop”, ie, contrast and/or saturation.

I love lines, angles, math, etc… so I do love the lines and angles. For me I find my eyes wandering to find a subject, the swale or draw in the upper right 3rd keeps pulling me in. It definitely makes me want to visit Iceland. For me Lacking the point of focus subject I have a hard time wanting to walk in and explore this shot. I am a Newbie so processing etc… I am really not qualified to address. Just sharing my experience of this image. Finally if you like it that’s all that matters! Some of my personal favorites most do not like, but my inner creative artist does. Keep shooting

1 Like

Marylynne,

I’m enjoying this quite a lot. The think the mix of tones here between the browns and greens are nicely balanced (unlike one previously where just one area of brown was on top.)

I agree with Ken to an extent that the eye tends to wonder as there is no strong focal point. However, that just may be the beauty here that you’ve carved out this mini abstract from the grand view. Again, nice mix of colors and tone.

The only suggestion here would be to burn down the lighter browns of the forward slope and perhaps an ever so slight boost in contrast and saturation; actually more micro-contrast than sat - and more of a red boost and not really any more green/yellow. Of course, we’re talking personal choice realm at this point.

Good eye and vision.

Lon

Thanks Lon, Ken and Tony. Your insights help a lot. I have attached another version of the same frame.

I think I’m learning that I need to spend a bit more time composing in the field for abstract compositions. I’m wondering whether I struggle to see the abstract in the field and box myself in with a long lens. Some of the best abstracts I have done in the past involved post-shoot cropping (not significant cropping, but perhaps a good 20% or so). I’ll share below a post-shoot crop from this same area. I’m curious about whether it reads better, more directional, a clearer (if still abstract) subject.

Here is a different frame in which I cropped afterwards upon isolating this part of the scene. It’s a little to the right of the frame above, and I was shooting the whole range, but extracted this.

Let me know if you feel like it has more directionality and interest. I also played more with micro-contrast in this one. With the advent of the texture slider in LR, I had all but abandoned the clarity slider, but it is very effective at providing that mid-range micro contrast.

1 Like

Your repost is considerably better than your original Marilynn. The browns have come alive. But your last image is your best. It’s more than an abstract. It’s moody, full of emotion. It’s like El Greco’s work. See his View of Toledo. I don’t want to sound like a know it all but in my opinion it’s desirable to not only create an abstract with a pleasing composition of lines and shapes and colors. It should also evoke a strong emotional reaction to be good.

1 Like

Thanks, Igor. I think your perception of the relative interest of the two images is spot on. I’m working on making effective abstracts, and mood is the common denominator, not composition or visual design per se.
ML

1 Like

Oooh, wow, really love this one Marylynne. You’ve taken the long zoom technique and really zeroed this one in - much more abstract. It’s like so many just little pieces of bigger elements - many of them, combined in one frame. Excellent. Contrast/color/sat spot on here too.

Glad you share this one!

Lon

Your repost of the original is much improved. The darkening in the lower cliff is perfect. My eye wants the white part to be still darker. Regarding the second, different photo, I still prefer your first.

I like your the zoomed in browns better personally. I am less distracted and more focused is the feeling I am getting.