Flame Skimmer

I went to a favorite dragonfly pond Saturday and had some luck. Lots of subjects but not much perching. I’m always trying for a focus stack but they twitch a lot and the reeds sway in the slightest air movement. So when this one landed on a rock one of the problems was solved, and by luck it was fairly still. And I liked that I might get some sharpness in a somewhat dynamic pose. By luck (my best strategy), I did. And the interesting BG was a gift. I have no idea what the orange area is.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon R5, 100-500 + 2X at 1000mm, f/14 (wide open), 1/500 sec, ISO 640, Focus stack of 6 frames, loaded into PS as layers and auto-aligned (there is always slight camera movement even on a good tripod). Each layer masked by hand for the most in-focus areas. Had to re-align one layer due to a twitch of a wing. Very minor BG cloning for small but distracting blobs on the rock.

1 Like

Wow! That’s a beautiful dragonfly, Diane! And I love how detailed you made it. Great capture! I could imagine that the bit of orange is a background dragonfly.

Diane, he is beautiful. You did such a great job capturing him. I like that he is on a rock, and whatever that is in the background seems to mimic the shape of the DF in reverse. Very well done. I can’t think of anything that would improve this.

Gorgeous specimen. I love them when they’re fresh and not yet beaten up. The stack came out well, too.

Fantastic Details Diane. The way he is sitting and the lighting came out very well. I have not focus stacking in a while but maybe I need to try it again. Excellent Photo

A really nice job on the focus stacking Diane, including the fine shadow detail. You got a nice pose.

Diane: Luck comes to those who are prepared. Really nice job taking advantage of the opportunity to get a great capture of a terrific subject. Most excellent. >=))>

Thanks, everybody! It’s fun capturing these little jewels – and I’m noticing they get littler every year…