Flash that wicked grin (w/2nd & 3rd edit)

With darkening of rock on far right edge in center & took down the blue shadow in the ice starting from the top -

With some desaturation in the LRC and a tad more contrast -

Original version -

Image Description

Before this falls through the cracks I thought I’d share it to see if it’s fully baked. Obviously icicles - they’re on a cliff wall at Tettegouche State Park on Lake Superior. Most of the ice is yellowish, but there are surprising patches of blue and gray as well. I assume different minerals are picked up and turn it varying colors. There wasn’t a lot due to warm winter weather, but just after the sun rose it picked out this section of cliff and I was ready on another cliff edge. It’s a little bit of a crop, but not much and only to eliminate deep shadows cast by rocks and trees.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.

• Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

• Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Self-critique is hard with this one because it is what it is and I did my best to bring out the implied lethality I felt viewing this scene. Perhaps there’s a better crop in there somewhere? Different processing to change the color palette? I considered B&W, but like the contrast of bluish ice and red rock too much to let that go. For me this is part of the Story of the Place with Superior and those rocks tell it as well as the ice which is there 1/2 the year. Does this say that to you? If not, what?

Technical Details

I think I was on a tripod, but it may be handheld. :thinking:

Lr for basic processing including a boost in exposure & contrast which made for a more pronounced s-curve in luminosity than usual. Modified wb. Added +20 texture and a bit less clarity. Calibration panel to increase red and blue saturation - this gave it life! Basic masking to even the light somewhat. Sharpening and a bit of a crop. Photoshop for work with luminosity masking to tease apart the tonalities in the ice and the rock wall.

1 Like

Wow, Kris. This is excellent. You hit one out of the park this time. I would do one of two things though. Either desaturate the oranges in the lower right or crop some off the bottom. Preferably the former. I feel that color shouldn’t dominate over tonal value in this image. This image likely would look great in b&w, perhaps even better. Great job.

Wow, Kris, that looks amazing. I love those crisp icicles. Seems to me like you live in a winter wonderland.

I agree with @Igor_Doncov about the saturation. Maybe I would desaturate the oranges at the bottom slightly.
Additionally, I would desaturate the blue shadow at the top of the image a bit. It distracts my eye from the nice and sharp icicles.

Can’t wait to see your next winter shot!!!

Totally spectacular! Wonderful curvy rocks for the icicles to hang onto, and the shelves of snow are a wonderful touch.

I think toning down the saturation a bit in the LL corner would be good – the color there is wonderful but that’s the problem – it competes a bit with the icicles – which is quite a challenge. For me, the deep blue doesn’t fit, but I don’t spend a lot of time looking at icicles so that’s your choice. (FWIW for my judgement about ice, it’s 62 degrees here at 3:30 pm and still the dead of winter.)

Reminds me of the Cheshire Cat Kris. I suggest desaturating the reds in the lower portion of your image but that is subjective. I like the idea of a B&W version. Great find!

Thanks for spending some time with this one @Igor_Doncov, @Jens_Ober, @Diane_Miller & @Eva_McDermott - I’ve applied some of the suggestions you’ve made and put a new copy in the OP. Better?

1 Like

Yes, better. I would darken that brighter rock that’s touching the frame in right center. Really impressive image. It’s operatic in it’s excess. If this isn’t picked by the moderators then … well, there is no justice.

Oh that’s a big ask, @Igor_Doncov given the caliber of Landscape here. But thanks for the vote of confidence. Now you’ve pointed out that lighter rock, it sticks out like crazy. I have posted a 3rd edit and also attempted Jens’s suggestion to reduce the blue shadow. On the right track?

I too love this one Kristen; it’s easy to see where the title came from. I agree with the above, and like lower saturation to not overwhelm those awesome icicles.

Wicked indeed! This is just awesome Kris! I think your progression of edits is excellent - thank you for considering folks suggestions and taking the time! The last one, especially the reduced blue in that shadow seals the deal for me.

No further edits or suggestions.

Your final edit/change works very nicely to convey a unified image. Wonderful ice sculpture. Nicely done. You can really get lost in the larger one.

Thanks @John_Williams, @Lon_Overacker & @David_Bostock - I’m happy that I could take something that was good and make it better through the eagle eyes and suggestions here. Hopefully this helps tell The Story of the Place more fully.

Terrifically wicked image, Kris! I think you’ve nailed all of the edits that have been suggested. Particularly removing the blue tones from the crack along the top of the frame. There are a couple of wickedly toothy grins down in the lower central portion of the image that look like aliens from the movie Alien. Zooming in is pure pleasure for the senses. So much to see. Super sweet image.

Thanks @David_Haynes - Giger’s work for Alien definitely sprang to mind when I first saw the formation. And thus the title. Glad you picked up on that, too, and that the continued work brought the photo to its best state. Wonder if it’s all melted yet? Woke up today to 8 degree temps this far south of it, so maybe not.