Flinders Island, Tasmania

Specific Feedback Requested

Is the image oversaturated?

Technical Details

1 Like

Cool location for sure. Looks a bit oversaturated, but mostly lacking in contrast. With light like this I’d expect the shadows to be darker. The sky looks over polarized as well, especially in the right half. It looks a different color blue than its reflection as well. Not sure what happened, but sometimes when I am heads-down editing I can fall down the rabbit hole, too. Lots to work with here.

2 Likes

I like the composition with the clouds leading me out to the horizon and the way the rocks form a soft triangle.

I will echo Kris’ s comments about the saturation. But knowing how blue the sky can be and how red the rocks can be, I wouldn’t be reducing the saturation too much. Having the dark side on the right is a great eye-stopper, but now I’m wondering about the light left hand side. Maybe a lot of glare?

I feel I need to do a tiny CCW rotation?

Flinders Island is a beautiful place and you’ve captured it well.

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback, Kris. I was wondering how this image can be both a bit oversaturated and lacking in contrast, but looking at it again now, I can see what you mean. Still trying to get my head around how much post-production is too much…

Thanks Glenys. Tasmania is definitely one of my favourite places to visit in Australia. What do you mean by CCW?

It’s an individual thing for sure! If you think it would be helpful, put up an unedited version and I can walk you though what I would do if it were mine.

Beautiful image Alan! Those are some amazing rocks. Great reflections and a clear path leading out to the horizon.
The horizon is tilting slightly to the right. @glennie mentioned this with his CCW (Counter clock wise) comment. There’s also a slight halo on the rocks to the right. This can be fixed with some luminosity masking.

Overall the image has a hazy look to it. This might be what you are going for but it tends to make the rocks look flat. Adding some midtone contrast to them might help. I would clone the bright spots on the bottom of the rocks at the far left or add a slight crop. Another option would be to crop out the entire rock at the far left and some of the sky. This would result in all the rocks having a more similar pattern. Either way, great capture!

1 Like

Thanks for your thoughtful and helpful comments, Andre. Yes, I agree that a tighter crop and increased contrast will strengthen this image.