Flying Dahlia!

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I’ve been MIA for the last week or two and have missed gaining the insights I do from viewing others’ images as well as getting feedback on my own!

This is another Dahlia from my forays to Bullington Gardens (near Hendersonville, NC) this August. I love the two small leaves below the center, and that it looks like it’s “lifting off”!

Specific Feedback

Any feedback is welcome! Thanks.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 5DS R; Sigma 105mm macro; ISO 400, f/2.8, 1/640 sec

1 Like

I like the composition and the shallow depth of field, Susanna. It does feel like some of the elements don’t fit well with the general feel (see marked up image). The insect damage where it’s in focus leaves harsh edges that disrupt the flow for me and that one sharp transition from dark to light stops my eye. I think you could also bring up the shadows in the center of the flower just a bit. Just some minor tweaks on a fine image.

@Dennis_Plank, thanks so much for your feedback. I don’t see the marked up image. Is it located elsewhere? Also, I don’t see the insect damage, so will appreciate knowing where in the image it is. I’ll work on that flower center!

Oops! forgot to upload the image. Here it is:

@Dennis_Plank, you do have eagle eyes! I didn’t notice those little imperfections on the petals. I’ve removed them and worked on the contrast of the central petals. The revision is attached. Thanks!

Being prejudiced, I think this flows much more nicely, Susanna. Excellent job.

Thanks, Dennis. I agree! Thanks for your help with this. :slightly_smiling_face:

| Dennis Plank Avian and Everything Else Moderator
November 20 |

• | - |

Being prejudiced, I think this flows much more nicely, Susanna. Excellent job.

This is beyond gorgeous!! It jumps off the page with the luminosity of the larger petals!! It had a wonderful and unexpected shape with perfect subtle detail in the BG! I do agree with @Dennis_Plank on the small imperfections and you have fixed them beautifully!

Thanks so much, @Diane_Miller! Dahlias are such great subjects. I am always so awed by their beauty that I don’t notice the imperfections, so I’m glad Dennis pointed them out!

I was working with some myself a while back and there was a deep red one that was so eaten up that I just had to give up on it, so I’m temporarily hyper-aware of the issue!

I love Black and White photography … This is just stunning. No Words needed … It has everything I love. Beautiful !!!