Flying Holiday Color

Be mellow

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso 640, 500 pf, f8, 2000th, 60%full frame, handheld, D500

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Lovely shot of this Wood duck - not many can boast of photographing a wood duck, especially one in flight!
I am looking at this image on my laptop - not the best, but if I may suggest,
reduce the overall contrast some, open up the shadows on the underside of its tail, add a bit of texture to its wing and reducing the brightness on its belly
Otherwise well positioned and great eye contact with the viewer - well done!

I love the position you caught this guy in, David. Looks like a take off, considering the water drops falling from him, which I find as a nice bonus. On my desktop monitor, I think the colors and brightness/shadows look okay. It does look like it might have been taken in harsh light, but still managed well from my prospective.

Man! If this were my shot I do not think I would change a thing. That’s a “wall hanger” I say. I am keen on getting a decent shot of a Wood Duck before I die. So far, no luck. Congrats!

Sweet, David. Beautiful colors.

Congrats on this fine image David. Love the colors and pose of the bird. The water drops are a nice addition. No nits from me…well done and congrats again!

Great shot, David. Nice and sharp; good wing position for take-off. Water color works well with the duck.

David, Even with its mouth closed this duck is screaming, " Look at my face." Wonderful image with great color. Do you think this is a touch oversaturated? This is not a nit, just a rhetorical question. Wonderful image.

It could be a touch oversaturated but these ducks have very deep colors in harsh light.