Flying Marten

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I won’t share my annual favorites for a couple more weeks, but I have published the runners-up… so I guess I’ll include this one here.

This shot was taken during one of my winter Yellowstone tours. The marten is jumping from tree to tree, and I was pleasantly surprised how well a few of the images turned out. The only thing keeping this from making my “Best of 2023” list is the fact that the martens in this area of the park are a bit more reliable (it’s normally an elusive species), because they’ve perfected the art of raiding dumpsters and breaking into buildings. That makes the encounter a little less exciting for me, but I still enjoy capturing their natural behavior when given the opportunity.

Technical Details

Canon R5
Canon 600mm
ISO 1600
1/1600th
f/4

Max, this one really a great stop action shot. Excellent details in the Marten. I don’t think I have ever seen one so not familiar with them. I’m looking forward to seeing your list of “Best of 2023” photos soon.

2 Likes

Wow, great timing. The flying bits of snow are a fine extra.

1 Like

Flying martens look pretty awesome. Maybe tweak up the contrast a smidge as my only suggestion. Awesome photo and Happy Holidays.

1 Like