Flying

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was walking by one of our canals. There were a lot of birds flying around and I tried photographing some of them with a relatively long exposure time.

Specific Feedback

All comments are welcome.

Technical Details

ISO 100, 300mm, f/36, 1/6th sec.


Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

Vision and Purpose:
Conceptual:
Emotional Impact and Mood:
Composition:
Balance and Visual Weight:
Depth and Dimension:
Color:
Lighting:
Processing:
Technical:

I like this sort of image abstracting the motion of a bird, Don. I do think it might be more effective as abstracted flight if part of the bird’s image didn’t intersect the bottom of the frame.

Good point, Dennis. I think I probably needed a shorter exposure to keep the trails from being so long. Live and learn.

Depends on the birds, Don. For very large birds, like Cranes, 1/6 isn’t bad at all. For a hummingbird, that’s 10 wing beats and, of course, everything in between. When I’ve played with this, I’ve varied shutter speed quite a bit to get a variety and I’ve usually done it pre-dawn or post-sunset when I’ve been down at Bosque del Apache photographing snow geese and cranes.