Foam Fantasia +Rework

Rework

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

At Norah Head, the waves were really putting on a show, crashing into the rocks and sending spray everywhere. This photo captures one of those moments in black and white, showing the splash and the rocks in stark contrast. It’s just a simple, powerful scene of the ocean doing what it does best.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback welcome

Technical Details

100 mm at ISO 400 and 1⁄1250sec at ƒ/10

2 Likes

Cool image Don… Great tone and movement !!!

1 Like

Thanks Gill! :+1:

A great moment in time, Don. Well made .[quote=“Don Saunderson, post:1, topic:40149, full:true, username:Saundie”]

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

At Norah Head, the waves were really putting on a show, crashing into the rocks and sending spray everywhere. This photo captures one of those moments in black and white, showing the splash and the rocks in stark contrast. It’s just a simple, powerful scene of the ocean doing what it does best.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback welcome

Technical Details

100 mm at ISO 400 and 1⁄1250sec at ƒ/10
[/quote]

1 Like

Thanks Ben! :pray:

You get another Ho Lee Cow! This is gorgeous and glorious!! The dark rocks, the light waves with the dark ocean hiding behind it and the mid-tone sky – all work SO well together! The waves are wonderful shapes and sharply detailed!! And I love the gradient in the sky!

Itsy-bitsy teeny-tiny nit, but I’d remove the small bit of a wave intruding on the left above the main wave.

1 Like

Don,
I love the range of tones in this B&W scene and the timing was perfect for some wonderful detailed wave action. I particularly like the spray droplets in the air along with the textures in the rock. I only have one small suggestion and that would be to clone out the cloud on the left edge of the frame; about 3/4ths of the way up. Beautifully done.

1 Like

I’m usually not a fan of stop motion water shots, but I’m changing my mind for this one. This is quite nice. I will second @Ed_Lowe suggestion about the cloud.

1 Like

Yep, stop motion water shots are usually not for me but this one works quite well. The dark tones at the bottom contrast very nicely with the almost white spray of the water. The vignette works quite well and I’m thinking that maybe it could be applied a little bit more gradually but I have to say it does it’s job as is. I agree with regard to the little white cloud intruding on the left side of the image. Remove that and I think this makes a really nice stop motion water image with power and depth.

1 Like

@Ed_Lowe @Diane_Miller @Michael_Lowe @David_Haynes @Gill_Vanderlip

Thank you so much for the encouraging feedback. Stop-motion water has always fascinated me. It’s not always the most aesthetically pleasing, but it’s fascinating nonetheless. I have removed the cloud as suggested. It’s those little things that are easily missed that make a huge difference. Thanks again! :pray:

2 Likes