Wave Explosion

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Finally been motivated to get out and shoot. The waves are pretty big in Hawaii right now so I’m hoping to get out more and take advantage of these conditions and shorter days.
This a close up shot of a wave crashing on rocks. It was pretty frustrating at times shooting these because my lens was having trouble focusing half the time.

Specific Feedback

I am pretty happy with how this one turned out and I didn’t really do much to it. I’ll happily take any feedback to improve the image. Thank you

Technical Details

Nikon D810, 400mm, ISO 320, f/6.3, SS 1/2500sec

1 Like

Wow – I think this is wonderful!! This strikes me as a very intriguing catch, looking into the wave instead of at it. The shapes are remarkable with so much in focus, and frozen in time. The subdued blues and cyans work so well together. Truly a joy to appreciate!!

1 Like

Awesome! Really happy you like it Diane!

The last time I was in Hawaii (too long ago), I tried doing something like this, but the results didn’t have the wonderful three-dimensional feel of this image. It feels like you’re inside the wave. I’m curious what f-stop you were using?

Thank you Dennis! I think my f stop was 6.3 but I’ll check when I get home

Fantastic image Glenn! It has this immersive quality to it. I love the patterns and the cool tones in it. Great example of a compelling abstract!

1 Like

Thank you very much @Alfredo_Mora

1 Like

This sure looks like your camera (and you) are about to get soaked! The sense of depth is a great feature.

1 Like

Thank you Mark! Stayed dry this time, been soaked a couple times before though.