Whiplash

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

In this shot, a wave smashes into the rocks with astonishing power, embodying the raw, untamed force of nature. The water, caught in a moment of dynamic movement, curves and whips through the air, displaying a vibrant green hue against the deep blue sea. The explosion of spray highlights the sheer energy and intensity of the ocean’s power.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback welcome

Technical Details

100 mm at ISO 2500 and 1⁄3200sec at ƒ/18

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Great shot and perfect SS to capture the dynamic power of nature. I think a crop also works well to further focus attention on the crashing wave.

1 Like

This wave is really powerful Saundie. I love the green water. It looks like it curled back on itself after it hit the rocks. As noted by @Michael_Lowe, you got the right SS to freeze the moment. I think Michael’s crop brings a bit more focus to the wave itself.

1 Like

Wave action always promises an original composition, never to be the same again. I agree with @Ed_Williams about the shape and color of the crashing wave. I do think the crop suggested by @Michael_Lowe emphasizes the power of the ocean. Thanks for sharing this beautiful scene with us.

1 Like

Thanks Barbara. Love the idea of never to be the same again! :+1:

Thanks Ed appreciate your feedback! :pray:

Thanks Michael, your crop works well! :+1: :pray: