Crash

Earlier this year when the waves were really big I spent several hours trying to photograph them. I tried a few different things like ICM, picking out different patterns in the waves, and zooming in and trying to show all the water drops after the wave hits the rocks. I found trying to freeze the action of the water exploding off the rocks to be the most interesting and focused on it.
I have a few more of these to show but I like this one the most.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback appreciated :slight_smile:

Technical Details

Nikon D810 with Tamron 100-400mm @ 400mm
f/6.3 , 1/1600
ISO 400

1 Like

Lovely and fascinating, with different areas to explore, especially the difference between the UR and LL corners! Looking forward to more!!

Wow, this has a very cool sense of depth imparted by the changes in luminance between the splashes and the “background” water. There’s also a faint change in color temperature from left (cool) to right (warm) that is interesting.

It’s a minor thing, but that patch of different color in the URC is a bit out of place. Perhaps masking for just the greenish/brownish tones there and adjusting them to be cooler would make the patch less distracting. Nonetheless, this is very cool!

The way you have frozen so many of the jagged shapes of the waves’ crashing creates a very dynamic effect. I feel I am definitely going to get wet!

Glen,

This is fantastic! And what a terrific natural abstract this is. I immediately got the impression I was under water - like I’m tumbling beneath wave looking up towards the heavens wondering if I’ll make it back to the surface! Very cool perspective - even though the reality is this is simply a straight shot and you’re not under water!

I agree with Bonnie on the off-color patch in the UR. I guess I shouldn’t say “off-color”, but as she wrote, almost like it’s out of place. I think you could possible alter the color/hue or something to make it more consistent with the blues, OR, potentially cropping some off the left and maybe the bottom to further simplify, without losing any impact this has.

Excellent capture! Kudos on using the faster shutter speed to create a terrific abstract of nature. Well done!

Lon

Thank you Diane!

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I really appreciate it. The change in color in the URC part of the rock the wave crashed on but I agree it is a bit distracting.