Focus Stack of Decaying Flower

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is a 12 image focus stack of a tiny petal from flowering vine that is past its prime. The images were created with a 58 mm manual focus lens using a focus rail.

Specific Feedback

Composition, technique, overall critique. Not particularly happy with the upper right corner.

Technical Details

Camera: Nikon Z8
Lens: Laowa 58 mm APO Macro
Exposure: f/8 @ 1/250
ISO: 2500

2 Likes

The details in that leaf, show very well, John. The spent blooms surrounding it set are a good contrast. I do think that a couple more shots, to get the back edge of the leaf sharp would be good. I don’t see an issue with the upper right corner.

John, what a fine look at this leaf. Nice details in it. Not having got into stacking yet, I am good with the focus of the leaf, but certainly appreciate @Mark_Seaver advice about a few more shots in the stack. It probably would have got the oof buds (?) in front in focus as well. I like the cluster of the buds framing it in. The composition and the BG work well, in my opinion.

Thank you Mark. I’m new to focus stacking so I appreciate your point about a few more shots. I took additional pics but found as I processed through Photoshop the more I included frames farther away the near image detail suffered. I’ve got more to learn on stacking and exiting.

Thank you Shirley. I agree. Still learning how to bring it all into focus.

1 Like

I like your image, especially the acorn-looking things and how the colors contrast. I’ve been playing with focus stacking this past year. I’m using Helicon Focus to combine the images I’ve taken, and I really like how easy it is to work with. Also I’ve found that adjusting the focus very slowly and taking lots of images helps get more of the subject in focus.

Thank you for commenting on my work. I want to learn how to focus stack with Helicon Focus. It’s on my list of next steps.