Lily

This is an in camera focus stack done with an Olympus E-M1.2. Flash was used as well.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

For those more familiar with focus stacking, do you see any stacking artifacts?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any and all.

Any pertinent technical details:

Olympus 60 mm macro lens at f/8, ISO 800 and 1/13 on a tripod.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

A lovely abstract shot, Richard!

I see one stack artifact though. On the lower left part of the image, you have part of the petal going in and out of focus.

Also, I’d love to see how a version with the full flower in focus, since you are already stacking.

The Olympus has done a good job, I don’t see stacking artefacts. What were the closest and farthest points or, which range did you want to cover?

I might prefer to have the petals in the background even more out of focus, using a larger aperture. (This would also be a nice test of the Olympus since it would have to take more steps.) Moreover I think the stamina would stand out more with an all black background.

A nicely lit scene with natural looking colours. Good capture.

Hi,

Looks pretty good. The pink spot on the lower lh corner can be cropped out. The business parts of the flower look good…Jim

Richard, this is remarkable. The focus stack produced pretty incredible detail. How many frames were used for the stack?

Thanks to all for your comments. They are appreciated. When in camera focus stacking is chosen, the camera limits the number of shots taken to 8. The first is taken at the chosen focus point. Two more photos are taken in front of that initial focus point and five behind it. The eight are then blended and finished as a large jpeg. The 8 raws are saved for use as desired.
The in camera software does allow you to guess at how much the focus point will move by choosing a number between 1 and 10. This is a relative setting and is not a direct measurement of inches or millimeters. I chose 5 in this case and the end result seems good. From reading a bit about this feature, I learned that too high a number results in bands that don’t blend well.
Last, the software allows you to choose enough time between shots for your flash to recover.

Richard, this is a great view of these stamen and pistil whose colors stand out well. The camera’s software looks to work very well. Even in the largest view I can only find a couple of very subtle items that I think are stacking artifacts. I was thinking it would be interesting to compare this view with an identical view taken at f/4, but I doubt that the 8 shot limit would give you a quality stack at f/4.

Wild colors and excellent stack… I do not do that well in PP…
The in camera stack did very well.

I don’t see any objectionable artifacts. The detail is good, as are the crossovers. I would clone out the pink dot in the LLC.