Bearded Iris

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Went for a different composition of this relatively common flower.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

This is a 50 image focus stack with a very shallow focus differential to extract all the detail I could must from this lovely flower.
Olympus EM1-Mark II
60mm f/2.8 Macro
1/40 – f/2.8 – ISO 200
Stacked using Helicon Focus

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

I like the angle of the flower in this image, Keith. A superb job of stacking. I don’t see any artifacts at all. Did you use a rail for your increments? Beautiful light as well. Very well done.

Keith, this is beautiful. I can’t even image 50 images though. I would image to accomplish this you would need a focusing rail, and lots of patience. Worth it though, as it is all totally sharp in focus. Great image.

@Dennis_Plank and @Shirley_Freeman - Both of you mentioned or asked about a focusing rail. No, I didn’t use one. With the Olympus system, creating a series of stacked images can be automated. To capture these 50 images at 1/40, the total exposure time is 50/40 or 1.25 seconds. I’d guess the entire sequence was captured in less than 3 seconds total with all of the automatic focusing adjustments. It is an incredibly powerful tool.

1 Like

I’ve been wondering when they’d start doing that in-camera. It’s a pretty obvious improvement and should be fairly easy to implement in the firmware. I hope the other companies pick up on it.

Wonderful image. I like the graceful curves in the image.