Black & White

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any that you might see

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I shot this in B&W as it just felt like the right answer. How does it work for you?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

This is a 20 image focus stack, captured with my Olympus EM1-X, 60mm f/2.8 macro.
Each image was 1/125 @ f/2.8, ISO 200. Stacked in Helicon Focus. Process in LR, and PS to accentuate the tonal differences and to smooth out some of the harsher textures in the plant.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Keith, I agree, B&W feels right with this excellent shot. Nice tones, textures and shapes. I am surprised though, that one of the leaves on the right side, seems to not have the DOF that the rest of the image has. Knowing that you used 20 images to stack this, it seemed odd to see. I get the out of focus look in my images when I shoot only one shot, but I wouldn’t have expected it on a 20 image stack. I think it is still a great image (especially since a shot like this I would definitely see oof portions). I love how the center portion of the plant is a lighter gray, drawing attention to it.

Hi @Shirley_Freeman. Thanks for your comment. The reason for the one petal on the right side not being sharp is an error on my part. I didn’t start the stack and get the closest thing to my lens sharp and it was that petal on the right. I noticed it after getting home and doing the stack. I still liked the stack so I kept it, but you are absolutely right that that one petal isn’t sharp in the final stack.

Thank you, Keith. Having never done a stack before, I wasn’t sure what happened. I just knew that normally I don’t see out of focus in stacked images. Thanks for responding, and clearing the mystery. It is still a very nice image, so I sure can understand you keeping it.

Fantastic capture, Keith!

I’m a sucker for b/w macro shots and you really processed this one beautifully. Wonderful detail.

I was visualizing to see if a different crop (maybe square) would work, but I really like how you included the darker petals at the bottom. IMO they work well in the overall composition. Nicely done!

Nice work Keith. I really like the composition with the flower cluster on top. Really nice texture too that shows well in black and white. very nice image.