Black Tie Optional

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I like the simplification of the texture and the color space. I notice fringing around the petals in the background. There is more in the RAW image, and it is from the background texture. Do you find it distracting?

Creative direction

This is in my series of yard subjects. I am aiming to make them look more artistic and not just a simple capture of their color and textures. I want them to be seen as elegant examples of nature.

Specific Feedback

All will be welcome. This is another photo stack. Feedback on the technical aspects is desired.

Technical Details

Taken in my “kitchen studio” with my Sony a7iv and macro lens–ISO 400, f/22, 3.2 sec
This is a photo stack of 3 frames processed in Zerene stack, then LR and PS for adjustment of color and contrast balance using TK9 filters. I simplified the flower in Topaz Studio 2 using the abstraction filter. The B & W conversation was done in Silver Efex Pro.

Description

While my car is at the “spa,” I am homebound. It has been great fun traveling in my front yard, but now I have ventured afar into the plains and forests of my backyard. I had trouble arranging the petals without bruising them, so I left the one as it landed. I like its imperfection.

3 Likes

There might be a stack issue somewhere in there, Barbara, but it certainly doesn’t register with me. I love the luminosity you ended up with in the petals and the textures are awesome. This is a real beauty. The only change I might suggest is in your set-up, you might rotate the bloom to get the center stem either fully on the background or fully on a petal, but that’s probably just my old engineer’s brain crying for symmetry.

1 Like

Way cool!! Different and very interesting! I love the B/W and the abstraction. I’m with @Dennis_Plank on the stamen – would be nice to have it more distinct – but a minor issue for a lovely image!

Keep up the journey! Travel to exotic locations can yield wonderful images!!

Barbara: Striking image! Me three regarding the position of the stamen but the conversion and the stack look flawless to me. Most excellent!>=))>

Barbara, the drama looks great! The fringing is possibly due to a bit of motion in the flower as you took the stack. At least some of the stacking software uses brightness and darkness as a secodary criteria for defining what’s sharp. (That can give you fringes or let darker bits in front of a bright bit disappear in the stack.) If you want to, the fringing can easily be fixed with some careful cloning. The texture in the background fits the view well and adds interest. I’m fine with the center where it is. It’s a good change of pace from the petals even as it’s partially obscured.

Thanks to @Dennis_Plank, @Diane_Miller, @Mark_Seaver , @Bill_Fach for your gracious feedback. I did not think about rotating the angle to get the stamen on the background or a petal. That is a good point. That fringing is only in the stacked image. I noticed it but decided I would leave it.