Tear Drops & Angel Wings

!

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I did focus stacking and probably took more photos than I needed. The raindrops on the cyclamen petals are what I wanted to show.

Specific Feedback

All is appreciated.

Technical Details

Taken with my Sony a7iv and 2.8/80 macro lens on a tripod. ISO 500, f/22, 0.62 sec.
Nine frames focus stacked in Zerene and then processed in LR & PS using luminosity masking and actions in the TK9 filters.

I am having trouble posting the picture I want to be posted and have managed to remove the original image instead of the reworked image. Cloning did not fix the streaking at the top of the image. My final reworked image was cropped.

Good job with the stack Barbara. You can really see the water drops. I love the color contrast between the white/pink and the grey/green. It is odd that there are no droplets on the soft velvet leaves, only the petals. I find myself wanting to see the rest of the flower petals.

Thanks Ed. Apparently, the texture of the leaves absorbed the water. One morning, there were drops on the leaves, but I did not get out to catch them before they disappeared. It was challenging to crop this image. The cyclamen were a mass of flowers, and I had to focus in on just a bit to make any sense of the scene. I agree with you that the crop is quite tight. That did bother me. Here is the entire scene as I photographed it. It hasn’t been fully edited, as you may notice.

The more I look at the entire scene I think the original is better than the cropped version. What do you think?

Personally, I liked the cropped version, Barbara, though I 'd have to see the stack of the whole thing to be sure. I do prefer the more subdued green of the original to the original post. I don’t know what caused it, but you have an issue at the top of the frame. Instead of the random texture in the leaves it’s vertical streaks. You should be able to fix it easily by either cropping a bit off the top or cloning from directly below it.

Barbara, I also like the cropped version the best. Love the color of the blooms and those water drops really are icing on the cake.

It makes sense the droplets got absorbed with the velvety leaves Barbara. I really like them both.

Really nice job with the focus stack Barbara! The wind around here never stops long enough for me to practice this technique! I love the square crop and contrasting colours and textures as well as the sense of depth in those wonderful shadows.

Oh, @Dennis_Plank, thanks for pointing that out to me. I missed that. Lesson learned. When I do “border patrol,” enlarge the image.
Also, thanks to @Shirley_Freeman for your feedback on the crop and @Bill_Crich regarding the focus stacking.

1 Like

The final version is excellent, Barbara.

Thanks, It was an easy fix. One of those, why didn’t I see it mistakes.

Barbara: Your final iteration is spot on. I like the comp and the color palette. I rarely stack but this looks good to me. Well done. >=))>

Thanks, @Bill_Fach .