Angel Wings

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I am fascinated by the texture of the leaves of the Angle Wings plant. Finding a composition was a challenge.

Specific Feedback

Is this working as a macro composition?

Technical Details

Sony a7iv with Macro lens.
ISO 250 F/22 4 Sec.

Processed in LR, PS with Topaz DeNoise, TKP luminosity masks, and Nik Silver Efex Pro 3

A wonderfull plant. I can imagine that it was very difficult to find the composition that you wished, it is probably inevitable that you cut off one or more leaves. That’s my negative point of the image. That said, I love it and it is an image that I keep looking at.
I see that you used f/22; I’d expect a bit more DOF (or more sharpness in some leaves). Maybe the focus is a bit too deep in the image.

Hans, you articulate the challenges very clearly. I am drawn to the plant but it “pushes” back. :smiley: I wondered about the f/22. I will keep trying. Thanks.

HI Barbara. A difficult subject as Han stated, but a very cool one. I like your composition. Han mentioned the f/22. Unfortunately I don’t think you can get the entire composition in focus at any achievable f-stop. That usually leaves two choices: deliberately use a shallow depth of field and throw much of the image out of focus or stack multiple images with different focal planes to get the entire plant in focus. When I’m doing macro work, I’ll often take shots both ways and decide which works better after I have them in the computer. My personal taste seems to usually go for the stacked images, but I sure appreciate the images with shallow depth of field and do them occasionally. You can stack them in LR or PS though if you get into it, there are after market programs that work better. Unfortunately, Sony hasn’t seen fit to give us the stacking feature that so many brands now have, but it’s pretty easy to do. Just start at the nearest thing in the frame and slowly work your way back making sure there’s overlap. When I’m being smart, I’ll usually use about f/8 so I have a reasonable depth and don’t need a bazillion slices.

That was a long digression. As for this image, I really like the lighting and as I said, the composition appeals to me with all it’s layers. Those could lend themselves to a shallower depth of field with the near leaf in crisp focus and the others trailing off. You’d have to play with what f-stop works. I’ll often take the same image just working through the f-stops.

It looks like you did some cloning along the right edge to keep the leaves from touching the edge. The edges of these leaves look pretty crisp and where you cloned they’re a bit softer, so you might want to try a harder brush.

Barbara, this is a wonderful plant for macro. I think you did a fine job in your composition, although I’m not familiar with the plant. The leaves do offer nice texture. I think @Dennis_Plank did a wonderful job in sharing about DOF and stacking. I personally haven’t got into stacking yet. I need to try it. I am blessed with the Canon R5 which has the focus stacking capability. Maybe this spring. I like this shot, and I think you did a great job with this. Working with static subjects is a great way to learn in macro. I was more interested in the insects, and they move, so I frustrated myself more than needed to be as I got used to my equipment and all things to learn, like lighting, DOF etc.

Thank you @Dennis_Plank and @Shirley_Freeman. I have thought about focus stacking. I may try it with the same composition. I was worried about using the f/22 and what the consequences would be. You are indeed correct about my cloning on the right to get the leaf from being cut off. I am guilty as charged. There was a white flower that I was trying to keep out of the frame. You have given me a lot to try. That is why I am here. I am determined to get comfortable with macro work. All my photo workshops have been landscape. I am ready for another challenge.

1 Like

Barbara, I am so glad you have determined to get comfortable with macro work. It is a rewarding genre, in my opinion. I am so looking forward to seeing more of your images, and to just watch your photography grow, and I am confident it will.

Barbara: As a pretty much set in stone single capture guy I do think you can achieve a lot of DOF at macro with f22 but you have to pay real close attention to your POF. If you are using the Sony FE 90mm macro you can previsualize the DOF by shooting in manual focus and enabling focus peaking on your A7IV. I primarily use a 200mm macro, especially for moving subjects that I need greater working distance but on a stationary subject like this I’ll often pull out my 100mm lens to get some more effective DOF. (although at the same image size I believe DOF will be the same regardless of lens length) I like this image and the subject. I would like a bit more room on the right to give the upper “wing” tip a bit more space or crop a bit and cut it off to match the other clipped wings. Macro is great to work with, especially since there can be good subjects right outside your front door. Keep at it, you’re off to a good start. >=))>