It's a New Year

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I am aiming to do a photo a day. I am not used to my Macro lens and intend to work with it until I get comfortable. Right now, I am looking around in my yard for likely subjects.

Specific Feedback

I will welcome all feedback. Selecting the focal point, depth of field, and general composition are all uncertain for me.

Technical Details

SSony a7iv, ISO 6400, f/9, 1/32O sec, 90mm, on a tripod.
Processed in LR and PS with Topaz DeNoise, TK9 filters for color balance, and Luminal NEO .

I’m not sure what you found here, Barbara, but I love the depth of field you used and the geometry of the in-focus curve. The dark space in the lower right tends to pull my eye a bit. I don’t know if you could get a bit lower or more tot he right and get a more uniform background or not. A very nice find and a good image.

Barbara, I like the curves and texture you captured here. I think that is a great plan, to work with that macro lens each day to get comfortable with it. I thoroughly enjoy macro photography. It is like a whole new universe out there to photograph. When I bring a tiny insect image up on my computer screen it is shocking to see some of them, and the features that there was no way to see by just looking at them. Enjoy, and I am looking forward to seeing more of your images.

Nice composition, Barbara. I like the DOF you used to bring focus on the curve. Interesting how the curve point does point to the darker area. I enjoy closeup and macros.

Thanks to all of you for responding. This is a picture of an Angle Wings plant. I tried to alter the view of this leaf as @Dennis_Plank suggested. I did not seem to be able to get a better composition. I do agree that the dark area is distracting. @Dean_Salman notes that the point of the leaf leads to the darkened area. It is tempting me to give that a symbolic meaning! I am wondering if I need to consider extender tubes on the Macro lens that I have. It seems I should perfect my technique with the equipment that I now have first. @Shirley_Freeman, what is the best way for me to learn the process?

Barbara, I appreciate your question. I think you probably are better off to work with the equipment that you have (90 mm macro lens) and learn and get used to it. Extension tubes are a nice cheap way to get in even closer to the subject, but it also means much less DOF and so it might be best just to get used to taking macro shots with the 90 mm and then decide if you want a macro lens that gets you closer (2X or higher) or just the extension tubes, and even study up on which ones you might want. It might be that 90 mm lens is right for you, and you would rather invest in lighting. I have found that practice is how we best learn what works best for what we like to accomplish in the macro category. I have bought equipment that really didn’t work for me so I wish I had went a little slower at my purchases and made wiser decision in what I actually needed to get the end results I would like. Just some thoughts. I hope I have helped you. I am looking forward to seeing more of your work as you experiment in the small world that I so enjoy and hope you do too.

Thanks, @Shirley_Freeman. I have been tempted to want the best immediately and find I did not need to spend the $$. Your thoughtful response is encouraging.

1 Like

Barbara: I alluded to this on one of your other images and I’m assuming your camera works similar to mine (A7RIII). If you have the Sony FE 90mm you ought to be able to see the active DOF in the finder. Also, for stationary subjects I almost always use manual focus and observe the focus peaking to see which parts of the frame are sharp. On my rig when I go to adjust focus I also get a magnified view of my focus point and can really refine it precisely. I have the old Minolta 100 and 200mm macro lenses which don’t allow me those features but with my 70-200 and 24-105 FE lenses it comes in real handy. As for tubes, I only use mine with my zoom lens to get me closer. I would guess I’ve done less than 1/100 of 1 % of my macro shots with tubes on one of my primes which already get me to 1:1. Hope this helps and feel free to ask if you have more questions. >=))>

Bill, thank you for these observations. I had forgotten about focus peaking. I had turned it off long ago because I was doing landscapes, and I found it distracting. I just turned it on and can see how important it is for Macro work. I do use manual focusing with the magnification feature. I do see the active DOF in the finder as well. I am off to do my daily self-assigned session of Macro photography.