Focus Stacked Tarantula

Here is the focus stacked image of the tarantula that I posted a couple of days ago.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I’m posting this mostly as a follow up, however I always welcome feedback. With handheld focus stacks of living creatures, you take what you can get. They don’t always stay still and you miss zones of focus. It’s good enough for IDing and sharing on iNaturalist.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

This is more of a documentary shot and other than showing her as lovable and cuddly, the image isn’t one that I would characterize as artistic.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Sony a6000 ISO 250 at 1/100 sec. Laowa 65mm macro at f8. Flash is a combination of the Meike MK-MT24 at 1/8 power and an old Nikon SB-22 mounted on the controller and flashed through a home made diffuser from packing foam. MK-Handheld focus stack based on 9 images composited in Zerene Stacker. Minor LR and spot removal in PS.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Perfect! More conventional and the chelicerae add something essential to the photo. Awesome…Jim

Todd, this is a fine look that shows the spider well. I like how you’ve chosen and filled the frame. Yes, it looks like there’s a touch of softness in the chelea, illustrating the challenge of hand held, macro stacking, but the shot works fine at NPN sizes of magnification.

Oh wow, Jim. This is a great view of this Tarantula. I appreciate the follow up, because not having been around this type of spider, I didn’t know really what he looked like. Nicely captured.

Todd,
Enjoying the ‘In your Face’ look at this subject, your processing efforts were well worth the time invested.

Very good, Todd. I like the depth of field you got in this and the framing is excellent.