Tarantula

What technical feedback would you like if any?

This was taken with the Tarantula in a small Terrarium with an open top. He/she was quite cooperative and didn’t move. First attempts at Macro.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7D ll, Canon 85mm 1.8, 62mm Extension tubes, ISO 100, f/11, 1/25 ,Tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Charlie, I would say this is a nice first attempt in macro. Probably not the first subject I would have selected, because I am still a bit intimidated by a Tarantula. I have built up the courage to photograph Jumping Spiders, etc., that I have learned to not be harmful. So, my :billed_cap: is off to you for the attempt. Nice details where needed to be. I can understand that lighting and logistics could be an issue considering the subject and the fact that he is in a Terrarium. You certainly gave us a good look at him. I am looking forward to more of your macro images.

Hi Charlie, This is a good first try. Detail is good. Focus Stacking will allow more detail from front to back. Good first attempt.
Wayne

A very nice shot! It must have been a little tough to angle your camera correctly in a small terrarium, but you were very successful, and the details have come out wonderfully!

Please consider drawing back and showing the surroundings – it’s very difficult to say in advance when the closeup is the more interesting photo, and when slightly less magnification works better.

I’m guessing you had a flash – is that correct? I think you did a good job diffusing it. An off camera flash might give some dramatic shadows, but once again I have no idea whether it would work in this case, other than by trial and error.

Again, very nice work!

Thanks. I was using ambient lighting. We were in a classroom

Charlie, the details here show very well and your focus on the eyes looks good. You were definitely in close! I’m surprised at how small the eyes are. With 62 mm of extension on an 85 mm lens you were probably very close to or even exceeding the optical design limits of the lens. Should you want to test that, take a series of shots of some graph paper at closest focus using differing amounts of extension. Then look carefully for any changes in sharpness. If you try this you might also want to take several shots with different f-stops to watch for the effects of changing aperture on sharpness. Have fun!

Thanks. Lot to learn with Macro.

Charlie: A face only a mother could love! Impressive detail and nice work with a complex rig. >=))>