Tarantula hawk head shot - updated 3

Now don’t get me wrong, I am more of a fan getting some distance on a insect because I tend to prefer that. But with the temps here in Arizona over 100 record heat, I will blame it on the heat. I not really sure if this is a good photograph because there are maybe a lot of things to consider. So I welcome comments. Canon 90D 180 macro tripod with gimbal. ISO 1000 F/11 1/80 with flash disfuser.

Wow, Dean, that is what you call “up close and personal”, or “in your face”. Great details and colors in this guy, and I am seeing so much more than one can observe just looking at him, which is why I love macro. As for the background, I wish that bright gray limb wasn’t coming out of his head. I find that distracting. Otherwise, composition, details, and lighting are really good. Sometimes the BG in macro can be a bit of a problem, but probably on this one you could soften it, darken it, or do content aware and improve the BG. Great shot.

Great observation @Shirley_Freeman. Sometimes I get too focused on the main subject forgetting about the background. This is the new version. I removed the white area and cropped to the right side and the top just a bit to remove other distractions, more on the right. Not sure if that was needed or not,

Good job on the white area, Dean. I think I like more room on the right, myself. Like to give them a bit of room to “move”.

Yeah. I was thinking the same thing. This crop was in photoshop but there is a checkbox when checked deletes the crop. So I always leave it unchecked for this reason and I can restore the crop

Hi,
Repost improves the comp. You can brighten this up a touch and you might be able to work on the shadows too. Tarantula hawks are fairly easygoing, unless you are a tarantula (lol). Well done…Jim

Thanks, I did one more update restoring the crop and bringing up the shadows

Dean, the 3rd version is nicely improved. The details are very striking, especially the wrinkling in the thorax, with the iridescence showing well. My one thought would be to put it higher in the frame, which for me would give it a stronger presence.

1 Like

Thanks @Mark_Seaver, I tried changing the ratio to 2:1 this morning. I think it helps .