Tarantula hawk

I have feared these guys for years and just read about their sting. There is a tree near but that these guys love so there are like 50 of them all over the place. So have been spending some time with them. I have been using my 180 and 100-400 with a extension and after reading the power of the sting I might stick with the telephoto and extension.

This one was with the 90D and 100-400mm at 135mm using the 25mm extension 1/500 f/13 iso 1250. I am using a white dome magmod and a white diffuser in front of it. So I plan to go back over the next few days. Any suggestions. They are a beautiful insect, as long as I don’t get stung.

I do wait and watch for the perfect shot. This time I was on a tripod with a gimbal

Dean, Very nice image. It is a beautiful bug. love the colors. You chose this one well that is well isolated. background looks great, creating a nice contrast. I think 100-400 lens is a good choice compared to 180/3.5, as it affords a longer working distance to avoid getting stung. well processed also.

1 Like

Dean, I am not familiar with this guy, but he looks like he could put the sting on you. I love the colors of him a lot. Your lighting worked nicely, looking natural. I am thinking that the 100-400 mm without the extension tube and if you need to, be out at 400 mm and see what that does for you. The extension tube I am thinking, is causing you to have to be closer to the wasp to get the focus, and hence, not needing to be anymore than 135 mm to get this shot. Just a thought. This is a mighty fine image as is, but I wonder what just the 100-400 mm extended out to whatever is needed to get a safe shot would give you.

1 Like

Agree with the above comments…especially about the pleasing color palette. I’d be a little tempted to darken the background if it didn’t compete with your primary subject, but agree that the out of focus background helps isolate the subject nicely. Scary looking thing!

Dean, this is a good look at this wasp with excellent details. Too bad that it’s size can’t be told from your picture…but that’s the nature of pictures. Unless you needed to work at less than the normal minimum focus distance, adding the 25 mm of extension only cuts down on the light hitting the sensor. You can get the same amount of magnification by setting the zoom at a longer focal length while maintaining the same working distance.

1 Like

Dean: You’ve probably noticed that almost all of my macro/flora shots are done with my 200mm macro lens. I do occasionally use tubes on my 70-400 but usually its because of some issue with camera placement or if I want to get a narrow field of view with the long end of the zoom. I typically find working with the fixed focal length lens and its ability to get to 1:1 unassisted to be a better choice. As for this image I can’t say I like the subject because I generally hate wasps of any kind but it is certainly a worthy subject to photograph. I might prefer a touch more light on the eye but otherwise this is a fine capture. >=))>

Thanks everyone. @Mark_Seaver I did forget about the loss of light so that is a good point. One thing that the 100-400 ii is the auto focus is much faster. Also it is easier to zoom as needed if the subject is too big. However, I always like using the 180 macro, I do wish Canon with make a 180 macro ii. When I do use a macro I have been setting to 1:1 and just moving. How every I shake in my older age so it is hard to do, why I use a tripod a lot. I hate wasp too @Bill_Fach, I wish they had no color then I would not bother to photograph them.

@Shirley_Freeman, I went out again this morning with just the 100-400 ii So updates coming. I also did some close ups with the macro, as they were buzzing by my ears.

1 Like

Really nice, Dean. Good detail and color. Be careful!! I think using the 400mm is prudent!

Dean, if you’re setting the 180 to it’s closest focus and looking for subjects with it attached to your 7D2, you’re actually working at 1.6 times life size (not life size or 1:1). The crop factor provides more magnification on ALL lenses.

Thanks @Mark_Seaver. So if I want 1:1 I need to do a full frame. One of these days I need to understand the advantages of 1:1. So this being the case there really is no reason to focus all the way to 1:1 with a crop camera. Maybe the new Canon R6 is worth considering. I kind of gave it up.