Spider

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

D3400 ISO 100, 200 sec 55-200mm lens with 24mm extension tube, off camera flash

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

A nice close up look at this spider, Michael. Do you happen to know what kind? I tried to find an ID for him. My guess is that he is some type of Jumping Spider, but hopefully someone on this site knows for sure what he is, if you don’t. You captured nice details of him. I like that there is just enough showing of the web to know that he is on it, but it nor the background is distracting. I wish there was just a tiny bit more space at the top near the one hind leg. I am thinking that maybe if you were to crop in from the left and right side, making it more of a square might improve the composition. Just a thought. Nice shot as is, in my opinion.

thanks Shirley, I don’t know what kind he is, maybe someone can ID him

Really nice shot Michael, I are that the hint of the web works very well and the flash has separated it nicely from the background

Michael, this is a very striking look at this spider. The depth-of-field with your flash is impressive, with everything from the front legs to it’s head and palps nicely sharp. The web and background set it off well. If you use photoshop and want to, you can add canvas at the top and use content aware fill, it would work very easily with this background. There are also a number of dust spots scattered around the frame (a uniform background like this really lets them show…)

1 Like

thanks Mark for the comments

Michael: Exceptional DOF control and a fine result. I’m looking at this after viewing your grasshopper but would continue to ask you to downsize your images before posting. Thanks and keep up the good work. >=))>

thanks Bill and will do

@Michael_Sonier, @Shirley_Freeman, this is certainly an Araneid spider (orb-weaver). But it’s very difficult to identify genus and species from this angle, certainly difficult for my level of expertise!

Very nice photo, thank you for sharing. The eyes are in great focus, as they should be, and the web is nicely shown, which adds context.

In fact, if this is a crop of a larger photo, please consider zooming out a little bit and posting it. Showing the surroundings of the creature gives a different value to the photo than zooming in – both are good, but they give two different slants to the photo and it’s worth trying them both.

Thanks Gaurav, I looked but cam’t find original file, it probably was deleted after I was finished, if I remember correctly it was cropped a little for composition not for size, I rarely crop photos to zoom in, but I do occasionally. thanks again