Foggy Dawn at Merced National Wildlife Refuge

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All comments welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All comments welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon Rebel T3i, 24-105 @ 50mm, 1/150 @ F5.6, ISO 400.

This is an older (2012) image I recently reprocessed with modern tools. I’m curious what people think of the overall composition and how it’s presented.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I am no processing wizard so I won’t comment on that. I would probably crop off a little of the featureless sky and trhat would also eliminate the huge “dust” bunny or whatever it is in the upper right.
:vulcan_salute:

thanks! there was a dust spot that I didn’t do a great job of cleaning up; I’ve gone and taken a better crack at it.

Chug,
I will have to second my brother’s thoughts for this image.

Chuq,

I kinda like the presence of the negative space up top; there’s an almost symmetry as this is almost divided evenly in to quadrants. You could make it that way if there’s any room to the right in your original.

I like the cold, clammy atmosphere. the only nit I have is wishing the person on the right was standing or positioned better. It looks like he’s taking a step, walking away. No biggie though, just an observation.

Simple, but this came out nicely.

Lon

Thanks, Lon. To me the negative space is the composition, showing the cold and damp of the pre-dawn morning. The platform anchors us and gives it a human element, but if I crop down, it becomes a picture of the platform, not the environment the platform is in. I didn’t want to crop out because then the people get lost and become almost abstract idea instead. . I agree with them walking, but they happened to be there, they weren’t placed or instructed. I’ll take what I can get…

I generally think images should be self explanatory, not need titles to learn what’s going on. So…for me it’s a pre night shot and those guys are leaving. I do see fog at the bottom, the sky looks more like night to me than fog. You may have a memory of what it felt like to be at this place that is triggered by this image, that I do not. Sorry for all the blabbing. Pleased your here. GL