Lost in the fog

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is an old one from a foggy day at our nearest National Wildlife Refuge. I always like fog and it’s interesting to photograph in. I posted this one when I took it, but I have reprocessed it for the weekly challenge.

Specific Feedback

When I first posted this some people suggested it be brighter. this started with the brighter image, but I added a bit of a gradient to it-not sure how well it works.

Technical Details

Canon 7DII, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary @ 157 mm, f/8, 1/3200, iso 800, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Taken February 25, 2016.

1 Like

Dennis, not having seen the original image previously posted, my comments here are all about this image. I find the negative space you presented quite intriguing. The title you gave this photo led me to explore the negative space. I find it beautiful and mesmerizing that the more I looked at the image, the more it would reveal its hidden gems. Do I see two other ducks (besides the middle ones) toward the URC or are my eyes deceiving me? Whatever the case is, the power of negative space is evident here. The subtle gradient presented is very good. It emphasizes the fog atmosphere.

This is a wonderful fit for the WC theme, Dennis. I did have to go to the larger version to make out the ducks, but, with that said it works very well the way you’ve presented here… :sunglasses:

Dennis, I’m chuckling because I posted a “ducks in the fog” shot similar to this a couple of years ago. This works well, especially with the more distant ducks fading and that very subtle clump of grass lurking near the top. Without your alert, I’m not sure I would have noticed the gradient. I do think it lets the nearer birds stand out a bit more. As with Ariel’s post, it might also be fun to push the high key nature of this view…