Ducks On The Pond

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Was this the appropriate use of negative space and does the fog count as negative space.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

This was a rare day of winter fog in Western Massachusetts which led to a myriad of photo opportunities.

Technical Details

Nikon 800E, 24-240 Nikon lens @ 98mm, ISO 100, f11, 1/13th second

Specific Feedback

Does the image accurately interpret aesthetic sense of fog shrouded day and does the use of fog fit the description of negative space?

1 Like

Initial reaction: I like all the fog.

In response to your question, the fog certainly counts as negative space to me. I do like the bare hint of the structure of the background trees showing through the fog. You might play with some sliders to see if you can bring that out just a hair more. I liked having to look for it, but if just the most prominent part were a bit more obvious, it might pull the viewer into that area more promptly and get them looking for more.

Thanks. The fog was so thick that day, that the image is an accurate representation of the scene, but I will play with the sliders. I don’t want to bring out the background to much or it will remove the sense of dead space

Paul, the mystery of the fog sets a mood for the scene that asks me to linger a moment and see what is there. I wonder how it would be to crop out the smaller group of ducks at the right of the frame. They don’t seem to quite belong to the composition. Just a thought. This is certainly a creative use of negative space. Thanks for sharing it.

Thanks for the observation . Removal would keep your vision centrally.

It fits very well for me! A lovely image! My taste would be to want a stronger hint of BG detail, but that’s artist’s choice.

Thank you. This has been a common recommendation.I just wondered if doing that would steal from the dead space

Hi Paul - I agree with the other comments that this is definitely an effective use of negative space. I like how you’ve placed the subjects near the bottom of the frame. I also like how you included the clump of vegetation near the lower left corner. For me, it helps provide some context and sense of scale. I really like the type of weather you captured here, and I enjoyed your image a lot.

Thank you. It is not common for us in Eastern Massachusetts to have such dense fog but when it happens I run out with my camera.

Beautiful image, Paul. I would certainly consider the fog to be negative space. Personally, I would have added just a tiny bit of contrast to the bag ground. Very much enjoy the image; well done!

Thank you for your feedback. It is in agreement with others to increase the contrast in the trees a touch.