Folded Leaves

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

In post processing, I wanted to highlight the effect of light striking the leaves. It made the subject more interesting tome.

Creative direction

I wanted to create a scene where painting with light drew the viewer to the path of the light and highlight the details in the leaves.

Specific Feedback

Did the post processing of this image achieve my intent? Does the painting with light look realistic? How else would you have processed the image?

Technical Details

Nikon D200, 24-85 mm lens @42mm, ISO 100, f22, 4 seconds.

Description

I was hiking a trail along the coast of California and came upon this plant in the shade. I was initially taken by the fine detail in the leaves and then experimented with various post processing methods

1 Like

Whatever you did, you got a great result! I love how the leaves fade away at the edges. I can see a few more bits for border patrol, but they fade in comparison to the dramatic image!

Terrific composition and the light painting is very well balanced in tonal range! I really, really enjoy this. Two minor suggestions would be 1) crop out a bit more of the black at left and bottom to give an overall better balance to the image, and 2) no harm in removing those stray bits of light to the right edge

Thank you for your kind words. I will clean up the bits of light

I should have looked closer at the stray light. Thank you

Nicely seen and captured, Paul. I keep coming back to look at this image again and again and have finally figured out why. . ā€¦ besides the great detail and lighting. It makes me feel like Iā€™m on a roller coater ride! Very exciting.

I appreciate your kind comments

1 Like

The Lines , The Tone. I love the vignetting where the light brings you right to the image !!! Beautiful shot !!!