Follow the Yellow Brick Road

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This photograph was captured on a long hike in the San Juan Mountains (Colorado). Due to the length of the hike and the amount of gear that I wanted to carry…I did not carry a tripod with me that day. It was fine for all of the images that I captured above tree line but this scene was pretty dark due to the cloudy skies and the amount of trees outlining the trail.

Specific Feedback

Any and all feedback would be welcomed.

Technical Details

Nikon Z7ii
Nikon 14-30mm f/4 at 30mm

Settings…
ISO 500
f/14
1/40

I wish I would have had a tripod with me…I would have done a longer exposure at a lower ISO and would have done a focus stack.

1 Like

The yellow fallen leaves look great along the path!
You mentioned it was a shorter than ideal exposure due to no tripod…are you able to boost the brightness of the pine trees at all? Lightening them up and giving the greens a boost would really make the image pop with the color contrast of the yellows & greens!

1 Like

Thanks, Kyle!

I could brighten them for sure…there is information in the shadows of the RAW file for sure. I actually darkened them down a little to lead the viewers eye down the trail.

I will play around with that for sure.

Thanks for taking time to offer feedback!

Nice image Jon. I actually like the darker trees. It helps set off the yellow of the leaves better. And draws the eye from the path to the yellow still on the trees. As far as exposure, maybe a little lighter on the leaves that are more in the middle of the path – they are the lighter ones already. Might add a little more contrast between them and the rocks and trees and balance the top and bottom. Glad you had a fun hike and found this image.

1 Like

Hey @jonwhitphoto nice to see you here =)
I agree that there needs to be some darks brightened up a bit. I would apply a “darks 2” mask in TK panel and increase the highlights in the darker areas of your photograph. I think it will help =)

1 Like

Here is a slightly different edit. Better?

1 Like

Jon I am very glad that you had to give up taking the tripod. I really love the subdued light that create an emotive atmosphere, a photo with the soul for me. Excellent the contrast of the dark green enhancing the luminous yellow that shines even with a dim light. Excellent the composition too with the movement of the diagonal convergent lines of both the path and the trees all pushing the sight up towards the light and the sky. Yes I love the photo as it is in the original version.

1 Like

Oh, yes. The little touches make a nice difference.