The Road Not Taken

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

It had rained most of the day, just before dusk the sun broke through the overcase gloom, to lighten just enought of the rain slick road. I had 3 cameras with me and this one had the correct lens for landscape so I grabbed it. It was pre-set so I went with the settings I had.

Specific Feedback

general feedback

Technical Details

Nikon D500
Nikon 70 -300 mm
Aperture Priority, 1/125 sec, f6.3, ISO180, handheld

2 Likes

A classic backroad scene. Inviting. I think the overall framing and composition is good, although a 4:5 aspect ratio might look nice as well with a little less road included. You don’t talk about processing so I wonder if you had a go with massaging some colors and using masks to enhance the 3D effect that the road has with the framing trees. The bit of sky in the upper right (it looks like a window) could be easily cloned out. There is a lot of potential here.

One thing I don’t understand is why you didn’t change settings if you felt they weren’t right. They work fine, but since this scene wasn’t going anywhere, I’m a bit perplexed.

Thank you Kristen, I will try those suggestions. No I did not get into masks or anything like that. I usually just check the exposure in photoshop Raw.

Here’s a down-and-dirty idea of what I mean, done entirely in Adobe Camera Raw -

Of course with your much larger, more detailed RAW file, you can get more subtle results.

1 Like

Funny, I think we were both editing and posting at the same time. How do you feel about your new version? I like it.

Thank you so much for taking the time. Yes I like it!

Nice inviting scene. My first initial impression was that a 4x5 crop would be nice but I see that’s already considered.

This is a lovely backroad autumn scene, Norma. I like your framing with the trees and the zigzag in the road draws me perfectly into the scene. I do like the tweak @Kris_Smith made with the fall colors and crop as they elevated an already nice scene another notch.

Thank you so much Ed!

Michael I agree the 4x5 works well. Thank you for taking the time to add a comment.