Fox Creek

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Sense of depth, impending storm, verdant valley?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Under dense cloud cover and rain, vibrant spring greens dominate the landscape along this small creek as it wends its way along the Klondike Highway in Yukon to join with the Yukon River.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 5D II; Canon EF 28-70mm @ 40mm; f/11 @ 1/60 sec, -0.67 EV, ISO 400; Gitzo tripod, RRS BH55, remote trigger

Specific Feedback

Whatever you see, positive or not

1 Like

My initial reaction is that I’m looking at Alaska. I have always been attracted to this type of environment there. Those midget trees that grow near the big are sooo cool. One thing I would try to to cool the greens but warm the yellows. I’ve gotten pleasing results that way. That should make the trees a bit cyanish and the shrubbery yellowish.

Thank you @Igor_Doncov for your comments. Although Yukon is in Canada it does border on Alaska so the forests are basically the same where this image was made. Cooling green means adding blue and reducing its opposite, yellow. I cannot comprehend how one could make the proposed changes unless you are describing what could be accomplished with individual color layers with masks for each of the two colors. If it works for you and you prefer the results, that’s all that matters.
I have never been distracted by the yellow dominance because that is what one sees in Spring growth. It all evolves with time Spring>Fall.

I will try to show what I’m suggesting. I am currently on an iPhone.

As you wish. What are you going to do to show what you’re suggesting?

Here’s my attempt at doing what I suggested. It didn’t really change things a lot but it does separate the meadow from the trees a bit.

Thank you @Igor_Doncov for your efforts. However, I think the result looks more like Fall than Spring.

1 Like

Really nice image. I really like how you didn’t crop off the trees at the bottom. And I really like the mountain at the top peeking through the clouds. My only criticism, is where’s the moose? :crazy_face:

Thank you @Michael_Lowe for your comments. The moose are on working vacations at that time. The wildlife management group attempts to limit the ratio of 2 males/100 females. Everyone is looking for love. No idle hanging out.

1 Like