Muskeg; Tundra and Taiga

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

If you have never been there, would you know what you’re looking at? What would you have guessed you are seeing?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

The surface of taiga, the sometimes swampy coniferous forest of high northern latitudes, and tundra, a vast, flat, treeless Arctic region of Europe, Asia, and North America in which the subsoil is permanently frozen, is covered with muskeg, a mixture of water and partly dead vegetation, frequently covered by a layer of sphagnum or other mosses. The deciduous components change with the seasons and form a spectacular Fall display because of their extent.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 5D II; Canon EF 70-200mm @ 70mm; f/22 @ 1/10 sec, -0.33 EV, ISO 100; Gitzo tripod; RRS BH55; remote trigger

Specific Feedback

Whatever you want to comment on, positive or not.

Beautiful photo! I love the variety of colors and depth of field. My initial reaction is that there is almost too much to take in and absorb, and I would consider cropping at the bottom (removing the trees and yellow/green grass). But regardless a great photograph.

Thank you @richard27 for your kind remarks. Without the trees there would not be any taiga, only tundra and muskeg.

This is a quite beautiful photo. My original reaction was awe at the beauty it shows. It is a landscape I am not familiar with so that increased the reaction. Very well composed and edited…a fabulous keeper you can be proud of.

Thank you @Tony_Siciliano for your generous comments. The mountains are part of the Chugach Range. The viewpoint is from the Glenn Highway, somewhere between Matanuska Valley and Knob Lakes. The camera I was using at that time did not capture GPS data.

I love the layers of color progressing into the image to the cooler mountains and steely sky. I like the patterns of the dark green evergreens amidst the yellow, orange, pink brush. I’ve not been to Alaska (yet!) but my guess would be early autumn in the far north.

Thank you @Cathy_Proenza for your comments. Alaska is VAST. I spent a bit over three months there, June through early September. If you cannot invest that much time then I suggest you spend your time on the Kenai peninsula, also known as Little Alaska. The Kenai Peninsula offers adventure opportunities galore, from world-class fishing and river rafting to wildlife viewing and photography.

1 Like

Thanks for the Alaska suggestions Bob. I am planning to go next year when I retire so I can spend some months there like you did.