Stickwan Creek + Rework

Rework

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Anyone want to go fishing?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

This lovely little creek, flowing below striking striped hills and snowcapped mountains as it approaches Old Denali Highway, is surrounded by luxurious vegetation in glowing fall color.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 5D II; Canon EF 28-70mm @ 48mm; f/14 @ 1/4 sec, ISO 100; Gitzo tripod, RRS BH 55, remote shutter

Specific Feedback

Whatever you wish, positive or otherwise.

2 Likes

Great shot IMHO. Composition is nice and the colors are great. Especially the hillside foliage. I also like the sunset? glow on the mountains. :vulcan_salute:

This is a nice composition. I like the different colors featured in the mountains and the warm orange/brown tones of the grass. I might suggest desaturation the image just a touch as it might fit the scene better. The island feels a maybe touch too hot. But other than that, this is a great image.

Thank you @Jason_Ray_Photography for your considered opinion. You may be correct. However, after reviewing my original .psb file I did not discover any layer or other machinations showing I increased the saturation. I played with decreasing the saturation but the impact just fell off.
This image was captured on 8/31/15, 6:42:46 pm. That’s early Fall in Alaska and the colors are very intense and exaggerated by the color of the light at that time of the day. No excuses. This is a fair representation of what was seen.
The point of the image was to use the blue-grey river, flanked by contrasting foliage, to guide the viewer to the spectacular mountains. Those mountains, with their striking stripes, are what initially attracted me and I followed the road until I found a suitable foreground.

Thank you @Michael_Lowe for your comments. It was late afternoon so the light was a bit yellow-orange.

This scene is quite lovely Bob. I particularly think that the light on the BG mountains is very striking and compliments the autumn colored grasses beautifully. I also like the way the stream winds it’s way into the image and directs the eye toward the mountains. My only suggestion would be to tone the yellow grass just left of center on that small island. It seems to grab my eye when I want to enjoy all the other wonderful stuff going on in the image. Nicely done!

Thank you @Ed_Lowe for your evaluation. I have reworked the image and posted it above. I hope everyone can see the improvement suggested.

Can you tell us where to look. I can’t see any changes between the two.

I guess all that red on the mountains are blueberry bushes. Amazing.

@Igor_Doncov —you are correct. The “changes” that were petitioned for were, by their own admission, almost unremarkable, yet, somehow, were an optical magnet. You must direct your eye on the grass on the little island in the stream, at the largest magnification the site allows and shift from one image to the other and you will see the change.