Image Description
I was mesmerized by these mud tiles which I found in death valley. I loved how each shape was different than the others. I played with this quite some time, creating different compositions. This is my favorite of the bunch.
Feedback Requests
Any and all is welcome but I especially want feedback on the post processing, whether it works as a black and white and if the image over all is too dark.
Pertinent Technical Details
Sony A7CR, 70-300 lens, f/11, 1/160
Tamar, you have a fine collection of shapes here. The high contrast, b&w processing lets the cracks stand out and emphasizes the shapes and shadows. I could see trying reduced contrast, but am sure that would result in a photo with a very different feeling.
This is a very interesting detail and well framed. Contrast is just a personal choice – different people will have different preferences so it’s just your choice. There is good detail in the mids. I would prefer a little more distinction between the darkest tones in the cracks and the shadows on the mud surfaces in the spots they are adjacent. Two items I notice are the detail in the UL corner and a tiny white piece along the bottom border.
Thank you Diane. Can you please tell me what you mean by distinction? Do you think I need to brighten some of the shadows on the mud surfaces to create diffrentiation? Thanks
Yes, that’s what I meant. On my monitor there is barely a distinction on several of the shadows, but monitors do vary in how well they show darks. And that’s only one opinion! It can give an extra interest if they blend together, making the viewer look at things more carefully.