Mud tiles at dusk

Another image from my recent time in Death Valley. With the recent historic rainfall, there are some new areas of mud tiles. This is taken during dusk so there is a distinct blue/purple hue. I was drawn to the pattern that looks like an arrowhead to me.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I processed this to brings out the blue/purple color and the texture/depth of the mud. Too far, too little, just right?

Technical Details

1 Like

Hi Dean,

I like very much your composition and the depth of your photo,
Very nice , very cool. Nice and simple.
Personally I’m not sure about the purple hue.

Hi Dean,
what a nice abstract image. I love those mud cracks.
Composition and contrast look fine to me.

But I agree with @joaoquintela regarding the purple tones. In my opinion, they are a tiny bit too much.

1 Like

Dean,
The evening light is sublime in this intimate scene as are the shapes and lines. My only suggestion would be to reduce the purple just a little. Great eye to spot and isolate this little gem.

Dean, I love this composition. The juxtaposition of the cracks against the lighter areas really works well. I’m slightly red/green color blind so the purple actually doesn’t bother me, but I think partly because of that I tend to lean toward B&W when I see these kinds of images. Here’s a try at that to hopefully accentuate that crack/lighter areas contrast…

You may not like it, but it was kind of fun playing around.

Cheers,
David

2 Likes

Wonderful composition of the cracks!! I love the colors, and they feel quite natural for after sunset. The tiny details are a lovely feature to keep my eyes int he image. @David_Bostock has brought out a level of contrast that I find appealing and I think it could translate well to the color version. Excellent find and presentation!

1 Like

Thank you @joaoquintela, @Jens_Ober, @Ed_Lowe, @David_Bostock, and @Diane_Miller. I’ll give the color treatment so more throught. @David_Bostock I love the B&W. I rarely work in B&W, so appreciate seeing the possibilities.

2 Likes

Dean,

Wow, this is spectacular! I love the color - although I suppose folks can debate how close to reality the colors are? Certainly within the realm of personal choice, IMHO. And given the time of day, this is totally believable to me. Actually makes me think of Zion or the Subway - images from there. But I guess cracked mud is everywhere… :slight_smile:

Love this as presented. No nits or suggestions.

Lon

Hi Dean,

I think this is awesome!
And I see the arrowhead that you mentioned. :slight_smile:

I think it looks just right but I’m a big fan of color!

I like @David_Bostock’s B&W interpretation too because I am just now beginning to see the artistic value of B&W.
Having said that, I’m not partial to one over the other.

As for the amount of processing (too far, too little, just right?) Whatever we say doesn’t really matter because in the end, your interpretation is the one that counts.

Just for the sake of providing my personal take on it, the purple/blue isn’t over the top, the transitions between them are soft and they seem to flow well.
Less intensity might cause you to lose some of the details?
The highs and lows in the mud created by the waterflow before the mud dried out enough to crack, provide a nice contrast in shape that sort of compliment the arrangements of the cracks.

That twilight period just after the sun disappears over the horizon can produce some wonderful colors and do a great job at accentuating even the most subtle shapes and textures as shown in this image! :slight_smile:

Great! Love it -)

1 Like

Dean, this is excellent. The cracks wind well through the frame while the low angle light shows of the depth. I like the subtle color shift from blue to magenta.

What a great image of mud tiles. Your framing is good and the colors are amazing. I also like a lot the contrasting black and white patterns.

The only very minor thing is that I would have liked to have a diagonal crack somewhere in the mud field in the URC.

Wonderful abstract in color and B&W Dean. I like the textures and sense of depth created by the light.

Oooh, lovely! I LOVE the purple hue - not too much for me. If that’s what you liked (besides the pattern), why not go for it? The softness of the light is beautiful. I can imagine standing in the mud flats at dusk and seeing these colors.

These may not be your cup of tea, but I think because this is so abstract you could push the processing to bring out the parts you like (such as the purple). And a b&w could be quite dramatic. I edited both versions using curves to bring out contrast and some dodge & burn. After increasing contrast in the color version, I had to desaturate some because it really did get a bit much.

Thank you, @Lon_Overacker, @Merv, @Mark_Seaver, @Ola_Jovall, @Eva_McDermott, and @Bonnie_Lampley. Great to hear the range of ideas and impressions. @Bonnie_Lampley, I really like what you’ve done. I’m not brave enough (yet?) to push it that far but you’ve got me considering it.

I’ve found it’s easier to get wild with someone else’s work. :wink: Really, your original is just lovely as is. It all depends on what you want to show - the “actuality” of the scene, an emotion, etc.

This is really neat! I love that there are the two overlapping patterns – the dark cracks and the light waves.

Thank you, @Tom_Nevesely. That was a detail that came out nicely in processing.

The attraction here is the ridges juxtaposed over the cracks. That combination makes it a richer composition than a simpler much crack image. However, I feel that the composition was made for the cracks with less attention given to the ridges. I would crop down from above to bring the ridges more into the image and give them more equal value.