Mud tile transition

A third mud tile image from my recent time in Death Valley. What drew me to this was the transition in shapes and patterns.

Type of Critique Requested

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Nothing in particular but any feedback welcome.

Technical Details

5 Likes

This one is also a good one. As you say, the transition in shape and patterns make this image. As for the previous image i like the colors and light. You have also made a great work when framing regarding where to cut of the cracks as the borders. One idea could be to rotate the image having a vertical transition, then with the rounder shapes at the bottom of the image.

Dean, the transition works nicely here. I have tried these types of images, but have never had much luck. This is a terrific comp. Well done.

Another wonderful abstract Dean! I find an abstract is an abstract with little to add for improvement. Lighting is exceptional.

Hi Dean,

very nice image. i love the compositions and our vision here. I like it better than your previous one (and I usually prefer the simplest composition).
I do have some doubts about the ULC.

Hi Dean,

I really like your series of Mud Tile images!

It’s very fitting to use the term “Earth Tones” in this case :slight_smile:

Wonderful shapes and patterns!

Well done, these aren’t as easy to capture as they might seem in my view.

Wow – super! Wonderful shapes and colors, so well framed. I’ve never had any luck trying to even find things like this. Could be interesting to select the UL corner and lighten it just a bit.

Thank you, @Ola_Jovall, @David_Bostock, @Eva_McDermott, @joaoquintela, @Merv, and @Diane_Miller. I’ll see what came be done about the ULC. The heavy storms last fall in earlier this year have created new mud tile delights in Death Valley. I feel fortunate that I was able to go when I did.

Dean,

Yet another wonderful image of the mud tiles. Not even fair to compare them all - but I can’t help it. I’d say this was #3 for me - but had there not been a #1 or #2, this would be the best! :slight_smile: Seriously though, this is just as compelling - and even a bit different than the others because you have the two opposing - or complimentary patterns.

The only thing I could suggest would be to find some working crop condensing both sides a little bit. the yin-yang between the patterns isn’t lost, but as presented it’s almost like there’s too much info provided for the side to side comparison of the circular patterns vs. the square patterns.

Clearly an outstanding image on it’s own (no need to compare with the previous) And with that, this works beautifully as presented. No nits.

Lon

With all of the recent rains and storms in California lately Death Valley sure looks like it was a mud crack treat for visitors. I’m heading there in just a couple of weeks and hoping that they remain. The colors and tones are sensational on this. You have a nice selection of colorful, circular shapes to go with the more monotone, angular shapes. That upper left corner tile is bothering me a little bit but I think if you dodged it that it wouldn’t be a problem at all. Here’s what I mean:

I also rotated this as @Ola_Jovall had suggested and I cropped just a smidgen off the top.

Sensational mud cracks, Dean. I hope to get some almost as good as these in a couple of weeks. :grin:

This is another wonderful mud crack abstract, Dean. I love the earth tones along with the shapes and patterns; particularly those on the right side. I hope you have some more to show us.

Thank you, @Lon_Overacker, @David_Haynes, and @Ed_Lowe. @David_Haynes, I wish you the best for your time in Death Valley. Hope to see some images upon your return!

1 Like