framed Joshua Tree

Many things to focus on in this area of Joshua Tree National Park. I enjoyed seeing so many framing opportunities and this one struck me. Old tree framing new tree.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Focusing on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Focus on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Focus on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Focus on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Would this look better square frame? Or best just as is?
Is anything distracting? The bush in LL possibly?

Technical Details

Shutter1/200
F11
ISO 320
Nikon D850
Kit Lens used 24-120…(44 mm setting)
cropped slightly

Great find, Margaret. I like how the tree in the background wraps around the one that has died. The cloudy day also helps the story. I don’t think a square crop is needed because it helps bring out the environment where this was taken. I know where this was taken in the park because I have been there many times. The dead tree also tells how dry it has been out there. Last times I was there a few months ago, I notice that everything was pretty dry out there. Nice Photo.

1 Like

Hey! I definitely think this would be a killer square frame. Not to say this one doesn’t work, but anytime you can draw more attention to the subject by removing parts of the photo you should at least give it a shot. Love how you’ve framed up the Joshua Tree!

2 Likes

Hi Margaret,

I missed your first post and also welcoming you to NPN - so better late than never! Welcome to NPN. Go glad to have you here.

This is a terrific image. Not only greatly and carefully framed and composed, but you’ve got a great nature story going on. I wonder if by chance you have seen the Weekly Challenge gallery? This week it’s the “Drought” and your image fits the bill perfectly! In fact reminds me of several of the posts. The reason I bring that up is that there are some Joshua Tree and/or cactus type images - and they’re in b&w. I like this color version very much, but just wondering if you tried working with it in b&w. I think the story would even be more compelling and a bit more dramatic. I think maybe?

As far as the framing, I see both. I think a square crop works great to emphasize the relationship between the old and the new… the dead/dying and the living and also the square crop works well to emphasize the “window” in which you’ve framed things. But I also see and agree the framing as posted tells the broader story with context, location and the environment. I think this one would work better as the b&w, as opposed to a square frame.

To the bush in the LLC, lower left corner. Maybe it might be better without it - but what’s more distrating are the yucca blades incroaching in that same area. I’m pretty sure PS would do an admiral job content-aware cloning those awawy. Not so much with the bush. But to me that bush is not overly distracting and certainly doesn’t take away from the story you’re captured and created.

Colors and processing look good. The diffused light has helped there. Then again, the diffused light also reduced contrast. But it’s all very fitting. I don’t have any nits or suggestions!

Thanks for sharing and hope to see more!

Lon

1 Like

I appreciate the feedback. thank you, Dean.

Thank you for the feedback, David. I think I will try out a square frame of this, as well

I appreciate not only the great feedback, but also the heads up of the weekly challenge. I think I saw that, but had forgotten. Work certainly gets in my way…hehe.

I really like the idea of a black and white. I had not thought of that. I will have to see what that looks like.

Hoping to get more into this group, as I think it will help me tremendously. It already has.

1 Like

Hello Margaret - welcome to NPN. Your framing of the background JT with the old arched foreground tree works really well. I’d love to see a square crop to more isolate those main characters of the image, and reduce some of the distracting elements that surround them. I look forward to seeing more of your images.

Compositionally, this is spot on Margaret. Love the way the background is framed by the foreground tree. From a processing perspective, I feel like the image would benefit from a bit more contrast all around and perhaps a slightly darkened sky. Thanks for sharing!