My Old Friend

full frame view

I’ve been photographing this tree, this scene for more than 30 years… I’ve probably posted this at least 2 or 3 other times here on NPN over the years, including a quad panel of this scene in all 4 seasons. Call me a creature of habit, but just can’t help but photograph this, or at least stop here every time I pass by.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

As always, your comments, critique and suggestions are most welcome. I’m including the full frame view which may or may not appeal. I like the full view, but the bottom has always been messy - the tree stump littered with woodpecker holes, next to that a cage protecting a young oak for restoration, the debri and then the yellow bush all adding up to a messy bottom. But then again, that is what the meadows are like.

I reached my limit of time processing this image - you know that point where no matter what you do you’re not improving things and actually making them worse. So I’ll stop, post and look for your valued feedback

Technical Details

Nikon D800E, 28-300mm @52mm f/16 1/5s iso 200

Hi Lon,
The tree is really beautiful and I can understand why you can’t stop to photograph it. I always find it very interesting to look at the same scene in different seasons.

I like both versions in their own way. The color contrast is great which makes the tree stand out very well from the background.

The detail that bothers me the most about the original version is the fallen tree on the left side, whose branches stick out upwards. I think its different shape stands out from the foreground. Apart from that, the messy foreground doesn’t bother me. It tells a story.

Boy, tough call here on which version. I find the top view more “beautiful” but the full frame is more interesting and if I were hanging one on my wall to look at every day, I’d choose the full frame because it is just as much about the meadow as the trees. In that regard, the full frame is more about relationship and so, is the more complex of the two images. I’m not sure what you mean by “messy” because it doesn’t feel that way to me at all. It sets a scene and when I look at the full frame version, I feel like I’ve just come upon it. The scene has an intimacy to it - that you know that place so well shows in the picture. So, okay, you’ve twisted my arm - I’ll choose the full frame for its intimacy, complexity, and sense of scale.

For me, it is not even close. I much prefer the full frame. I love the grasses and the yellow bush, along with the downed tree. They really set the scene, create the mood and the sense of the place. It feels calm and peaceful, full of tranquility. The tight crop doesn’t do that for me at all. :+1:

1 Like

Lon, this is a wonderful portrait of a tree to my eye. I fully understand why you have to take a rest in this place time and time again. Personally I prefer the original version, as the cropped one feels a bit unstable to me. Maybe cropping only about a third of the bottom area might be worth a try. Thanks for sharing.

Lon, I get what you mean when you revist a scene several times, it give a perspective on how the scene may change and how you may see it differently. I think both images are terrific, however having to choose between them I also would go for the full image. Re the clutter, like in my deer with a broken antler image, it portays life in the forest.
I am curious, what time of the year was the image taken and where was it taken? Thanks.

Thank you for the comments so far @Jens_Ober , @Harley_Goldman , @Kerry_Gordon , @Peter_Richter and @gDan52 . Much appreciated.

I figured out why! And I agree with everyone’s preference in the full frame version. In fact, it was the full frame version that I did all the processing and development on. Yeah, concerned about the yellow bush, the stump and meadow clutter, but totally agree it’s more a complete picutre and story in the broader view.

What did I figure out! For years I photographed this scene - on 4x5, and only with a 210mm lens. The cropped version is pretty much exactly the view that I’ve been seeing when I viewed on the ground glass of the view camera! that explains why I “ran home to Mommy” when it came to wanting to crop. That’s the view I had been used to. I guess now I should be happy that I’m finally seeing this a little differently outside the box of the view camera.

Thanks for asking Gary. This is quite deceiving actually because this was captured in early NOvember last year. Autumn usually comes late to Yosemite valley and these black oaks were just beginning to turn. You can barely see the yellow starting to come thru. But at a quick glance one might thing spring or even summer. Maybe the yellow bush at the bottom gives it away. Here is another view near the same location, which btw is El Capitan Meadow, Yosemite NP. Just to show a little more of the seasonal transition of the black oaks starting to turn yellow.

1 Like

I recognize these trees from some of your other posts! I’m usually a “less is more” kinda guy when it comes to compositions but in this case, I appreciate the wider view more. Can’t put my finger on it but the golden grasses are definitely part of it. Love this one, Lon.

I knew this was your post Lon as soon as I saw it. :grin:
I must admit that I prefer the full frame view including all the mess at the base of the fallen tree. I get more of a feel for the curving branches hovering over the fallen and broken tree almost like a mom or a parent standing guard. It has more emotional impact than the cropped version and I think tells a better story, a story I don’t get at all with the cropped version. Don’t get me wrong, I like the cropped version plenty and had you not shared the full frame version I would be oozing with compliments but the full frame just speaks to me. I love this set of trees and have photographed them numerous times, particularly in winter but I really like your vision on these.

1 Like

What, these trees again? Sheesh. :wink:

As always Lon, you have managed to capture these trees in a whole new light. And I do like the full frame rendition this time around. While I do love the 4x5 format, the full 3x2 framing does give a more faceted story to these trees.

1 Like

Lon, when I saw the top view, a fine image but I was missing something .The full frame gives a special feeling and is as image complete . Despite the messy bottom which in my eyes helps the composition

Ben

Lon,
I thought these trees looked a little familiar. After toggling back and forth several times I am leaning toward the full frame version as it just seems to complete the scene. I have to say that I am enjoying the yellows of the grasses against the green leaves of the black oaks. It is totally understandable why you have an affinity for your old friend over the years.

I believe it is a unanimous decision, including the OP. I think the full view is a much stronger image and tells a better story. I can’t believe I never thought to capture the wider view!

Thank you @Bret_Edge , @David_Haynes , @Youssef_Ismail , @Ben_van_der_Sande and @Ed_Lowe .
Cheers!