Framed

Description: We had a nice break in the weather 2 weeks ago and I was itching to get out for some fresh air, so I took a hike in one of our local nature preserves. This scene spoke to me because the trees seemed to form a natural frame in the scene. The trees in the water also helped create a perspective drawing me into the water. I hope you enjoy.

Specific Feedback Requested: Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon EOS R with RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM at 32mm, ISO 200, 1/160s and f/11.

Is this a composite? No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Your framing with the fallen tree and the big branch looks good, Terrance. It would be nice to have the frames closer to the top and bottom, but that clearly won’t work at this location. Although, you could crop this to a panorama format, reducing the amount of sky. Those two stalks coming up from the bottom center are a distraction that cloning out can fix.

This is a pretty neat idea, I like the framing and the repetition of fallen trees/branches. The processing of contrast, color and exposure looks spot on to me. It has a nice late autumn feel to it. My only nit is to remove the 2 stalks that @Mark_Seaver mentioned.

Is this really a frame? When the subject outside the frame is as compelling as inside the frame then it’s no longer a frame. On the other hand there is an invitation to look through the opening. I suppose it doesn’t matter what you call it. It’s an interesting perspective.

Thanks for the comments on this image - great forum for feedback! I agree on the removal of the stalks and have taken care of that. Didn’t even notice them until I posted here - thanks. Here is the image redone from that standpoint.

I then played around with the panorama idea and really don’t care for the image - I think it lost alot. Rather than change the aspect ratio, I think I prefer to just rename the image to “Nan-Weston Nature Preserve”. Here is the changed aspect ratio - thoughts?

The panorama doesn’t work for me either. Here’s another option:

1 Like

Thanks Igor - it does play well to the trees and reflections on the left side - something to consider.