Freeze

I am currently working on a project that has been a few years in the making. Long story short, I’ve finally had the time and vison to start putting it together. So was looking to get some honest feedback on some of them. So here’s the first :exploding_head:

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I’m open to hearing your thoughts on the processing.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

How does the composition work for you? Are there any elements that don’t work? I won’t pollute minds with my thoughts

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Sony A7ii | Canon 16-35 f4L
16mm | f/11 | 1/20s | ISO100
Single shot on a tripod.

@eugene_theron_photography

To offer useful feedback on this particular image it might be helpful to have a better idea of the project as a whole. I say that, because what I might suggest based on this as a stand alone image could be quite different than what I might suggest if I had a better idea of the context that this image was in service of - the general look that you’re after and the story you’re trying to tell. That being said, based solely on what I am seeing here, I like the bleak sweep of this picture but wonder if it mightn’t be more powerful if pushed further in post. I can see a very dramatic high key version of this, which would mean darkening much of the mid tone darks while pushing the mid tone lights in the other direction. I don’t think it would be by a huge amount but just pushed a bit further. I’m sure you know what I’m talking about but, if you are not familiar with the work of Vincent Munier, especially in this case, his Arctic landscapes, it might be worth a look. He is friggin’ brilliant. His work actually brings me to tears.

1 Like

Hi Kerry,

I am not familiar with Vincent Munier but i have just discovered it!! Yes, his work is great, in fact its beautiful. I’m going to track down the Arctic landscapes and have a look at them too. Thanks for this suggestion!

Yeah sure, that would probably make a lot of sense to explain things a bit more. I am putting together a collection of Black and White images from Snowdonia. This is area where I shoot primarily. Although I normally shoot in colour I have been collecting a series of B&W’s over the last few years. The idea it to present a contrasting set. One set in a more high key way, similar to what you are suggesting and another in a more low key fashion. So dark darks with whiter subjects or focus areas. At the moment I have about 5 or 6 in each category. Hope that helps!

Yeah, I am following your drift with the high key suggestions and looking at it now think it could be pushed further. I’ll have a look. Keen to hear you other suggestions on the image too :slight_smile:

Eugene,
I really am enjoying the visual that the B&W curving layers provide and the fog adds nice atmosphere. My only nit is that the very interesting foreground rocks and right side of the scene seem to carry a bit more visual weight for me than the left side. I think @Kerry_Gordon offers a good suggestion regarding a higher key version. I look forward to seeing more of the project.

So, @Eugene_Theron, I think @Alan_Kreyger expresses my my overall feelings about the image. As I said before, I love the sweep of it - it really flows. But I agree with Alan’s observation about the visual weight on the right side overpowering the left. But, in my opinion, don’t bring down the right side. Rather, push the left.

Eugene,
I am not sure what the color version looks like, but I do know that I like the B&W conversion. This has a lot of mood with the low lying clouds and I do like the sweeping curve as it comes in from the left side. This is a little right heavy as @Alan_Kreyger already mentioned so I would suggest a little crop from the left to balance that out, but not so much that it destroys that lovely curve. Here’s a repost with

what I am thinking. Looking forward to the other images related to your project.

It sounds like an interesting project @Eugene_Theron. But I will offer comments on this as a standalone image. I like the processing as presented. To me the wonderful shapes of the foreground rocks are dominant. Processing them darker like this creates nice contrast against the softer and brighter mountains… I think the progression of luminosity from rocks to water to mountain is perfect.

In terms of composition, I too think the image feels unbalanced as presented. To me the lake is not strong enough to counterbalance the rocks, and leaves negative space in the LLC that for me is not additive to the image. I could see going with a square composition, and even taking that in a couple different directions.

Option # 1

Option # 2

@Alan_Kreyger @Kerry_Gordon @Ed_Lowe @Ed_McGuirk thanks to all of you for the great comments and honest feedabck!

The visual weight was something that bothered me. In a way I kind of liked the imbalance but in the back of my mind knew I wanted to change it. I think the 4:3 (ish) crop that @Ed_Lowe is suggesting is the best balance on the image for me. Although I could push ot to 4:5. I think it will fit well will some of the other shots in the series. Although I do like the square crop too so I have saved a copy of it in 1:1 too :slight_smile:

@Ed_Lowe the colour version is awful lol. There are nuddy yellows on the mountain side that really detract from the rest of the image. I was the most mono but incredible day. Wind blown snow, frozen lake. Just amazing mood and atmosphere.

@Ed_McGuirk I agree with @Alan_Kreyger and @Kerry_Gordon about pusing the processing a bit. Although the intention was to have the luminosity ‘fade’ towards the mountain - like you mentioned. There was a lot of wind blown snow that is fading the background out. I had a play with the edits and it’s moved in the right direction for sure. I did some work on darkening the lake and lifting the background to accentuate the fade.

Any further comments on the edit will be great!!

Thanks again and here is a copy of my latest edits. I’ll be putting some more up from the series in the next few days.

Eugene

1 Like

Eugene,

I really love the rework! Nicely balanced the and the lake darkening works well for me.

1 Like

Hi Eugene,

I like the left-right balance you’ve achieved with your recent crop. I definitely think there are some graphic elements working together in this composition.

I find the tonal relationship between the black in the foreground rocks and the lake and the rocky background to be strong. That is they are in a similar luminosity range and all stand out against the snow.

If this image was mine I’d try breaking the tonal relationship with the foreground darks and the mid ground-background darks. For me that highlights the graphic nature of the pattern of the rocks and encourages the eye to settle on the pattern after taking in the other elements. For me it makes the pattern like a lead vocal and the other elements like an accompanying acoustic guitar. Personal preference I know!

Hi Nathan, apologies for the late reply here. You’re comment got me thinking. Your comment about fading off into the distance is what I wanted to achieve here. I don’t think I have managed it yet.

There was a lot of wind blown snow espcially in the distance and I wanted to highlight that. In the updated post I made, looking at it now, I don’t I have nailed it. I think having a falloff from the fore, into the lake and then further falloff would work well. Mistly as the lake was free of snow.

I am feeling this a lot more. Thanks so much for the input!

Eugene

you’re welcome Eugene.

If you’d like a good reference about using contrast reduction for foreground/background depth I think that Bruce Percy does this well. Especially his Icaland and Patagonia works.

Thanks Nathan! Bruce is someone I have always heard of but not really looked as his work. I’ve been going through it over the last few days. It’s really quite unique. He uses that contrast reduction technique really well. Quite a lot to be learned from him.