New editing technique for this mountain shot

Hey folks. I’ve been away for a bit busy with one thing and the next, including my website.

I’ve also been having a play with some images I’d previously discounted and working on editing techniques. I’ve been trying to simplify my workflow quite a bit as it was getting a bit over the top. This image was only edited in LR using local adjustments and very few global ones. I steered clear of PS for this .

I got this shot earlier in the winter and couldn’t work out what to do with it. Nonetheless I’m reasonably happy with the outcome but would love some cc from the NPN massive.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any and all

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Hit me

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Sony A7ii | Sony 70-200 f4G
91mm | f/8 | 1/250s | ISO100
Single shot
Handheld (if i remember correctly)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@eugene_theron_photography

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

@Eugene_Theron, big fan of telephoto mountain shots so you were already on to a winner with me here.

I really like the drama and mood captured here. The intensity of the brief window of light, and the mystery of the other peak slowly disappearing into the cloud on the left. There’s a lot of details to take in, and it’s processed very well overall.

If anything (while looking on an iPhone in a dark room), I feel that the highlight could take a little bit more light, but only a sliver.

Regards,

Rich

1 Like

@Eugene_Theron–I really like the mood; stormy and dramatic. Looking at the larger view, I think the high values in the snow look fine. There is pleanty of texture and detail there. In short, I think you did very ell with the shot and the processing.
–P

1 Like

Beautiful light on the peak. The processing looks spot on to me and the vignette makes a great mood. No suggestions here.

1 Like

Beautiful shot Eugene, the editing looks perfect to me. I can’t think of any suggestions.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for you feedback! It’s much appreciated

@Richard_Bauld you and me both. I find I have been taking a lot more intimate shots of mountains recently. Think it adds to the feeling of being amongst the peaks. Enough waffle. Thanks for the feedback. I’ll take a look at the brighter sections and see how an adjustment works out.

@Preston_Birdwell Thanks very much. I definitely think it has a different feel to the lights and/or dark depending on how big you view it. I am erring to how it appears when opened up fully as it will be printed at some point.

@Harley_Goldman Cheers for the feedback! I’m never sure if I get vignettes right or too dark - good to hear your views,

@Blake_Randall Thanks very much for leaving some cc :smiley:

Eugene,

Simple and effective. Simple is almost always good and in this case, it’s as simple as a great capture of light. the surrounding clouds enhance the effect of the light and the detail of the rocky peak anchor the scene.

No nits or suggestions. I should heed your advice and simplify my processing too!

Lon

You managed to capture a wonderful mood with the light and clouds, Eugene. It has a stormy moody feel which is very captivating for the viewer. My only suggestion would be to lighten the whites just a touch, but not so much as to destroy the mood. Great eye to spot and isolate this scene.

Thanks @Lon_Overacker Thanks for the comments. I think I am more attracted to the more intimate moody shots. The landscape round here, especially in summer can be pretty cluttered and it drives me nuts.

It’s the best thing I’ve done in ages for my photography. Lightroom has some incredibly powerful tools in the more recent versions and can really make things simpler and faster. Still use PS for some bit though.

Thanks @Ed_Lowe really glad it comes across the way you suggest. That’s what it felt like on the day. I am going to triple check the whites as a few folk have commented.

Eugene, this a great image. I am a big fan of telephoto mountain images. I love the mood created here, love that dark/light contrast and the colours are spot on. Not much to add here other than congrats on a great image.

Thanks very much @mark2!! I have been focusing quite a bit on telephoto mountain shots recently (when the conditions prevail of course). Glad you liked it and thanks for the feedback :smiley:

1 Like