Telephoto shot of a distant mountains

Late winter afternoon on Rogla plateau facing towards Kamnik-Savinja alps in Slovenia.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Do you see mountains out of focus?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I didn’t plan to process this shot, not sure if its worth it. Want to hear your thoughts.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon eos-m with 70-200 L at 200m, f8, iso200

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

ig @gregorjericphoto

Really nice Gregor. The mountains are a little soft but doesn’t bother me. The light and comp are great.

Hi Gregor,

I like the warm light in this image, it contrast nicely with the shaded areas and the clouds look great.

The mountain is a little soft but I don’t think its a deal breaker as the mountain would be soft due to atmospheric haze anyway,

Beautiful light sitting on the mountains, Gregor. Those are some very impressive peaks .You might consider cloning out the peak-a-boo highlights seen through the trees

Thanks @Michael_Lowe, @Nathan_Klein, @Stephen_Stanton for your feedback.

I added some orton that I forgot to distant mountains and cloned out one snow spot :slight_smile:

What a beautiful scene Gregor! I think this is a very pleasing composition. While you’re right, the mountains are soft and this is seen fairly readily when the image is enlarged, it really depends on your end goal for this image as to whether it is a deal-breaker or not. For a print enlargement, I might find it a bit challenging to hang up on a wall with the softer mountains. But, for digital sharing, especially smaller resolution size sharing, I think this is just fine. I’m always surprised at how limited depth of field is with the telephoto lenses!

Agree with @Stephen_Stanton…(and I really like his term "peek-a-boo highlights coming through the trees) that I would endeavor to minimize those.

Finally, while the light values are beautifully rendered in this image, the top of the most dominant coniferous tree is pretty dark and my impression (ignore if I’m wrong) is that it has been darkened either with a grad filter at capture or in post. If in post, I think it would be more harmonious to bring back some of the luminance in the top of the tree to be more congruous with the remainder of the tree.

Regardless, sure is a beautiful capture.

Thanks for your valuable feedback @Jim_McGovern!
I removed all white highlights now and also brightened the top or the right spruce.

I also added some saturation. Hope its not too much now :slight_smile:

I think I liked the less-saturated image better…but I’m not looking at this with a color-corrected monitor, so it’s your call. The tree looks more congruous with the entire image now!

I agree that the less saturated was significantly better. The poetry is gone.

Thanks for your honest feedback, I reverted it back to less color. I agree it was too much.