Saint Thomas, Slovenia

This is an old image from 2016 and I decided to dive into my old archives during the lockdown.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

It was a very fiery sunrise but I’m worried that I maybe pushed it too far? What do you think about color and saturation?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 6D, 135mm f2

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

ig @gregorjericphoto

3 Likes

Hi Gregor,

This certainly was a great sunrise. I like the colour. I do t find the saturation to be too much or too little.

At first glance I didn’t notice the peak in the background. Have you tried bringing out the contrast back there to give it more presence?

Gregor,
The color and saturation look just fine to me. I have to say that I love the side lighting and the way it illuminates the buildings; particularly the one with the red steeple. The BG mountain is a nice touch and adds to the layering of this lovely scene and with it being partially obscured it adds a little mystery. While this is wonderful as is I think a small crop from the top and bottom would place more of an emphasis on all the good stuff toward the middle. just a suggestion of course. I hope you do not mind, but here is a rework with what I was thinking.

2 Likes

Thanks Nethan. I did brought the peaks out quite a bit already. Maybe I could push it a bit more.

Ed, thanks for your thoughts, I agree that square crop also looks nice.

This is beautiful, Gregor. I would be proud to have this in my collection. I would also suggest that that much sky is not needed at the top and like @Ed_Lowe’s rework.

Thanks Michael. I agree that sky is not that interesting but still not quite sure about square crop… haven’t used that aspect ratio yet :slight_smile:

Hi @Gregor_Jeric, really nice shot. I love the contrast between warm and cold tones. The light on the subject and BG. I think lights are too much saturated, but it’s also my opinion. Regarding composition, portrait orientation works well. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Massimo. I did some work on image, darkened lights a little and desaturate yellows a bit.

@Gregor_Jeric very nice image. Thanks for sharing.

Gregor,

It’s a beautiful scene. The light is special of course and catching the church atop the little hill is pretty special. THEN, the appearance of the rising peaks out of the hazy mist just really tops this image off. For me, I would do anything to bring it out any further; there’s a great mystery and beauty as presented - as if the mountains suspended in space.

If anything I’d play with cropping out about half the dark trees at the bottom. This image is about light - and not so much about the darkness.

Lon

VERY nice Gregor. The sun spilling into the bottom layers makes for a nice image by itself, but the mountains floating above add so much depth. I prefer your final edit.

Thanks Lon and John for your feedback.

I will try if I can to bring out mountains a bit more.

I also got a few comments from some friends that think its over processed. Your thoughts on that?