Early spring at Velika planina, Slovenia

This is a high alpine pasture and at spring its meadows are full of violet saffrons.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

It was a very foggy and gloomy day… I shifted wb towards blue and colder tones. Is it maybe too much?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything that catches your eyes.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Focus stack at 16mm with canon 5D3.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

ig @gregorjericphoto

1 Like

Beautiful contrast of seasons. I would be tempted to pull a bit of blue out of the center snow and leave it on the edges, kind of using the blue as a natural vignette. That said, looks great as presented.

A lovely scene, nicely framed. Love the flower buds. I’m with Harley on the blue tint, especially in the snow. Looks a bit too blue on my screen. But, if you like it, it works as is - feels cold!

Gregor,
I love the mood with the fog and the splash of warm color with the violet saffrons works very nicely as they immediately grab your attention. This shows off the transitions of the seasons beautifully and the details in the snow are a nice element when opening the large version. I could see reducing the blue just a touch, but that is subjective and more of a personal choice. Beautifully done!

Wonderful image. As many have already said, it beautifully evokes transformation. The picture has a strong sense of place, lovingly photographed by a person who knows it. I love the muted blue and how it frames the splash of purple although I think Harley’s suggestion would be worth exploring to give the scene just bit more contrast.

@Harley_Goldman @Bonnie_Lampley @Ed_Lowe @Kerry_Gordon
Thank you all very much!!

I was also afraid that its too blue. Its reduced now and some warmth is added to highlights and I also brightened foreground buds a bit.

1 Like

Beautiful evocative image. To my eye the reworked image with less blue is in the right direction, but could use even more reduction of the blue cast in the photo. Also, my preference would be to reduce the brightness and saturation of the flowers just a bit.

Thanks @Tony_Siciliano, I played with tones some more. I think this is it :slight_smile:

Gregor, I think your last rework handles the blues just right. This image tells a wonderful story about the hope and promise of early spring. This image brightened up my morning, thank you for sharing it with us.

@Ed_McGuirk thank you very much! Beautiful thoughts.