Smoky Mnt NP

After I left the photo location, it dawned on me that maybe adjusting the exposure setting, using either a polorizer or ND filter may have brought the distant peaks into better view. Suggestions?

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Nikon D3500, manual mode, f/22, 1/80, 70-300mm lens at 78mm. Focus using AF-a single point. Metering center weighted.

Thanks for any direction provided.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Mike,

A grand view and that sense of “being on top of the world” is what I’m getting from this.

Yeah, too bad the distant mountains aren’t more clear. I’m not sure if there’s anything you could have done differently. I mean given the distance, haze, lighting conditions, etc, this could be quite the accurate look. Of course you could try some contrast and color work, but there’s really not much difference in tone between the far mountains and the sky. Hmmm, just now wondering if b&w might do the trick - if anything you could really exploit the fog over the valleys.

I wasn’t there so don’t know the options, but was wishing there was a clearer view without the vegetation at the bottom. The good news though, is that I think you’ve included enough of it that I know it’s included on purpose - if that makes sense.

Hopefully someone will chime in with ideas.

Lon

Hi Mike,

I certainly understand what made you stop and take a photo, the conditions are really cool. On the nitpicky side to me the overall image has a green cast that should be easy to correct, there’s a dust spot in the sky on the left edge, and I see a weird greenish darker blob in the sky at the top center. (I was thinking the blob was caused by a polarizer but you said you didn’t use one, so I’m not really sure what’s up with that.)

Overall what this image is missing for me is light that could help reveal the mountain shapes better. Either more sidelight or back light might have been awesome. The most interesting part of this image to me is the triangular mountain sticking out of the clouds on the right of the image. Because you say you had a 300mm lens you probably could have gotten a shot of just mostly that mountain that I think would be a stronger overall image. I’m attaching a quick mockup of what I’m talking about.

Obviously this isn’t particularly helpful after the fact but I hope it’s useful for the future.

Oh, and I agree that a B&W conversion might be worth experimenting with.

-Thorsten

Hi Mike,

This must have been a stunning view! It would have been great if the distant mountains are visible, but I am not sure if they were visible to your eye at all when you took the shot. A polariser can help with reducing haze, depending on where the light is coming from. I agree with Thorsten’s comment and the crop, this would have been a great intimate Landscape shot if zoomed in a bit. On looking at the settings, I wonder if your ISO was bumped up- f22 with 1/80th makes me think it was around 400-640 but I may be wrong. Also, keep in mind that using an aperture of f22 will introduce a thing called lens diffraction that pretty much would make the photo less sharper. A usual aperture of f/8-11 may give you sharper image. Hope this helps!
Oh, how high were you here??

Zoltan