Friend or Anemone (with edit)

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I have over 200 photos of thistle from all angles taken in the last month or so… I’m a bit obsessed. The macro view of the flower top looks to me like a sea anemone, hence the name.

Specific Feedback

I’m unsure of the composition. This is the full image, and I think I should have pulled back and included the entire flower in the shot.

Technical Details

Sony A6600, 105mm F2.8 Macro lens
ISO 320
105mm
1/400 sec

1 Like

First, I’ll say that I laughed out loud at your title. :smiley: If you’re going for an abstract, you might consider going in even closer. A wider view would tell us that this is a flower. Closer in might leave us guessing, which is more the idea of an abstract. At any rate, I love the color and texture of this.

Thank you Bonnie! I appreciate the feedback! added a vignette and cropped the photo.

1 Like

Great title Derika and a wonderful image! I think Bonnie is right about extracting details from the image to make it more abstract but only if that is the intent.

Thank you Alfredo! I do like the cropped image much more than the original :blush:

1 Like

Very nice idea! I think going in even closer is a good idea but I find the vignette too strong – I think it could be gentler and still direct the eye to the more interesting part. Some blur on the edges is also a possibility here.

One idea for dealing with this many elements is to do a very limited focus stack – just enough depth to include more of the tips and a bit of their stalks/stems in a limited area. It might take some editing but could be interesting.

These are great ideas Diane!

1 Like

Thanks for the excellent suggestions Diane! I have been studying focus stacking but haven’t tried it yet. Sounds like it’s time :grin: