Japanese Anemone

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

These happy little things are still hanging on when most other flowers are done. I walked by this pair the other day after too much shooting and with tired feet but just had to stop. I shot a single frame, guestimating I could get the right DOF.

Specific Feedback

Al comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-10-03 at 8.35.42 PM

Minor tonal tweaks in LR. Into PS for a little BG softening with low-opacity cloning. Removed a bud near the bottom.

2 Likes

I get a sense of forward motion from this arrangement - something I don’t often get from flower photos. So glad they’re sticking around in the fall. The varying colors in the petals is really beautiful - I wonder if that’s a sign of them finally going off, like the drooping bits in the middle. I wish the seed (?) and the lower blossom had more room between them, but other angles might have introduced other issues. Lovely example of beauty through the stages of flowering.

I get the same sense of motion from this image that @Kris_Smith mentioned, Diane. In interesting phenomenon, I think caused by the curved stems and the out of focus buds. Absolutely perfect depth of field in this image. I can’t think of a thing I’d change.

Beautiful shot, Diane.

Thanks, @Kris_Smith, @Dennis_Plank and @Don_Peters! These are on the downside but hanging on! I love the way they grow – when there is no air movement… The lower flower is a bit older, with the stamens (?) drooping. But it will soon be replaced by the buds you see. These come with purple and white flowers. You’ve seen both, and will again.

1 Like

I just now saw the EP – many thanks, @Kris_Smith and @Bill_Fach! These little plants have given me a lot of good opportunities.