Front Yard Bald Eagle

Another one from the Skagit Flats. I was just cruising some of the byways and this bird was perched on the top of a relatively small fir tree in someone’s front yard. I liked the light and the perch so I pulled over and endured the barking dog long enough for a few shots.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I didn’t do too much in post processing on this one, just some enhancement of the eagle’s plumage. Does it look reasonable?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

How’s the angle work?

Any pertinent technical details:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 468 mm, hand held, f/8, 1/2500, iso 800, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 13.8 MP. Taken at 9:45 am on January 12th.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I really like this. I want a front yard with bald eagles. The light is perfect and amazing detail. Curved branch as a perch is icing on the cake. I might take a bit of the blue off the right of the frame.

Print it and put it on the wall.

Okay Dennis, you need to share some of you bald eagles with us out here in the east!!! Lovely image, sweet light, excellent detail. I think I agree with Andrew, if you were to do anything to this image, I believe crop off a bit of the blue sky from the right hand side, and then print and frame it!!! I just love the head position. The plumage looks natural, and so I think your editing was spot on, in my opinion.

Beautiful shot, Dennis. I think your processing is great - looks very natural to me. The angle is also good - better than most I can get of an eagle. :wink: I think a vertical crop would also work but I see nothing wrong with this comp either.

As usual, excellent detail. Given your techs, looks as if you had some nice light. The angle and perch are good.

Another great eagle image, Dennis. Techs seem spot on and there are enough details in both bright and dark areas of the plumage. The perch and light are also very complementary. I too think a vertical composition would make this image stronger.

Hi Dennis,

Looks like this guy is going to snap the tree top off when it takes off. Lighting is great and the processing looks good as well. No nits from me…Jim

I also want a front yard with eagles! We have an occasional one fly by, but never when I’m out there with a camera. Sweet pose here, clean BG , and a perch that seems too fragile to support this guy.
Sandy

Love it, Dennis - impressive and regal birds to me. The angle is unavoidable here and not disturbing to me. best, Hans